Often, I get mesh files like 3MF, STL, etc and I want to use them in a tool like Shapr3D. I thought I’d show you how to create a drawing that Shapr3D can use directly. We can produce a series of to-scale 2D drawings that I generate from the 3D file. For a while, I tried to talk to the Shapr team about building this functionality directly into the app, but it never really went anywhere.
There are a few threads in the forum from several years ago where I talked about these tools, but I thought it might be time to share them, so I made them public on my site. Your models stay local. You work on them in your browser, but they never actually leave your computer. They get stored in your browser storage, so if you reload or come back later, they will still be there.
Mesh files aren’t super precise, though they’re often good enough for many 3D printing cases. So don’t count on them ot be micrometer-accurate.
This may also be useful if you just want to whip up some shop drawings from a mesh file.
For the curious, here is a video demonstration of them in action:
This is super cool! I used it this morning to rebuild a model that didn’t quite work for me. I printed out this chisel holder and my two smallest chisels didn’t fit. My calipers are in storage from moving so I used your drawing tool to get the measurements and model a new one. Thanks!