How would you go about this particular loft approach?

Hey gang,

I’m working on a helmet project for a mockup. I created my helmet as a mostly round shape, but I’m attempting to add a nose piece to it that will resemble the arch found in my googles/lens design.

In particular, I’m trying to get a super smooth transition between the bottom front portion helmet to the “face” off the 2D nose sketch I have positioned in front:

Any tips on how to go about this? My few attempts have yet to yield something nice and seamless/smooth and I’m not sure how to approach this with already existing bodies. Any tips would be appreciated!

nose_loft.shapr (17.3 MB)

1 Like

If you haven’t already watched it, go to YouTube and look for the shaper 3-D channel. There is a an early version of a bicycle helmet with lots of unique shapes in it.

Can you loft the surfaces?

How exactly do you mean? I’ve attempted but it’s not working with the curved surface of the front on the helmet :confused:

Is this more or less what you’re trying to do?
I didn’t use Loft, I used Extrude after re-drawing your nose sketch (no splines, just curves).

2 Likes

This is much closer to my goal! if it’s not a huge hassle, could you include some before screenshots of the sketches/curves used to achieve this? I’ve been beating my brain against this problem getting little headway made.

Regardless, thanks for the reply and suggestion, Mike!

Here are two variations. The first is making the nose piece curved in one direction. For the second version I made a spherical curved body to subtract from the nose. The spherical body was translucent so I could see how much I wanted embed it before doing the Subtract (a little trick). After that I did a union of the nose and helmet and added the fillet radii.

One more thing. I made a new sketch for the nose using circle arcs. I stayed away from using spline curves. This made for better fillet radii on the outer part of the nose.

2 Likes

Supremely helpful, thank you for this!