Import 2d shapes / vectors

Hi

Is there a way to import 2d shapes like glyph shapes as sketch into shapr? I tried adobe illustrator files but it failed. Is there support for some other vector formats like svg or pdf?

I want to make a bunch of embossing but drawing stuff is rather cumbersome with the sketch tools.

1 Like

Hello, Shapr3d supports PDF file format import. Workaround can be to import in PDF format or make screenshots of your illustrations and import in PDF or PNG format into Shapr3d.

No vector import supported. Pdf is rasterized.

1 Like

It’d be super helpful if Shapr3D could import *.ai (Adobe Illustrator) format. Considering Illustrator for iPad is in beta test (and I need to say looks and works really good) it would be super easy to design and import 2D vector graphics into Shapr3D and build a 3D model. This way we could do everything using only iPad.

1 Like

I’ve been using Meshman3D (free) to convert file formats.

I think Shapr3D has a one of a kind experience as a 3D design tool. The combination of of pen and finger is game changing. It made me learn 3D design easily compared to the confusing interface of all other tools. You’re making great stride with features in recent years, but the lack of features in this area will surely make me switch to Fusion 360.

My use case is simple, and bound to be common.

1. I started out making laser cutouts with Vector Software and exported to SVG to set it up for print
  2. I now need to do the same models with CNC
  3. CAM software needs a 3D model, so Shapr3D would be my go-to
  4. If I try to import SVG, I have to go through an intermediary
  5. The resulting model is so bad that I have to redraw it

What I end up with is a drawing with shapes that are chopped into 200 small lines for a single shape. This means that working in Rhinoceros CAM later is a big pain.

Let’s say that you can’t support SVG for some reason for import technically. How come there is no recommended way to convert SVG to a format Shapr3D can import, where a good result can be expected?

I tried importing PDF, but that is just treated as an image, so I have to retrace the drawing.

1 Like