Import vectors from affinity

Hi all,
I would like to buy a new ipad for my work. we create many 3D printed objects by extruding vector graphics. I read your forum but I did not find any new information about importing EPS, DWG, SVG directly into shapr3d.
My vision is to use the affinity designer to create closed vector objects and then use these vectors in shapr3d for extrusion.
Does it allow or will it support shapr3d importing vector graphics?
Thank you for answer

2 Likes

Hi,

Shapr3D has no vector import yet. We have no ETA on that.

Hi! Is there a workaround? E.g. via PDF? I tried as it should be supported but it did not work for me. I just want to get a logo from Affinity Designer - nothing complex. Any idea?

I think it’s mentioned there that just a single page of .pdf file is supported to be imported. I suppose that your file is more than a page so Instead, I think you should have a screenshot of the logo and then import it into Shapr3D.

It is a single page PDF file and after import it shows up a pixel graphic instead a vector. I did check the PDF file and it does contain vector only. I need the vector information for my work. I am looking forward to find a workaround.

I think that would be normal behavior ofthe app but at the same time the support team could help you here. You can send your request to support@shapr3d.com

Thanks for trying to help!

I wonder why there’s not even an ETA for a feature so frequently asked in the forum, so much needed by those who do CNC works, and that will really broaden the userbase of this wonderful app!

:wave: Hello Shapr3D Team

:question: I have a similar question. Can you please implement export to a vector file format functionality? I have an opposite workflow where I create 3D objects and would like to export a snapshot to Affinity Designer on the iPad and continue working with the lines there for presentations and showcase.

More export options would be great :100:

I double down on this feature as well

Considering the app price (business), I cannot understand the ability to copy/paste vectorial shapes is still not supported in Shapr. This is a serious productivity killer for me.

SVG export was added not long ago.
SVG import was mentioned also coming. But don`t quote me on that.

I strongly belive that SVG import would be one of the best features they could add at this point. (Apart from the upcomming rendering solution)

Having a way to import vector shapes from something like affinity designer or Vectornator would be great for adding stuff like text, logos and more complex shapes and designs.
Having SVG import would also solve the Text input requests.

I have tried some online SVG to DXF converters with mixed results.
If someone has found a better way, please let me know.

On another note. I have seen in the Affinity forum that DXF export have been a requested feature probably longer than svg import has been requested here in the shapr3d forums. It´s a slow race and noone is winning:P

The ability to import or copy/paste vector shapes from illustrator or affinity designer is crually missing !!
Do not understand how such a thing is still not implanted (the 1st post asking for it was in 2018 !)…

Hello guys,

i tried the pdf import, but no joy so far. It imports as a picture only, it will not recognize the pcb layout in my case. I need to trace it in sketch…to represent it in my design.
Please add this feature, its a must for many many workflows.

Otherwise pretty cool app on the ipad.

Have fun,

Chris

for those who want to use affinity iPad and import vectors… I have a little trick…
get an EPS or PDF and go to this site:

it allows you to have a DXF that you can import in Shapr3D… It’s not ideal… but it works.

I have tried SVG to DXF converters but the issue is often that curved lines are not curved at all, just multiple tiny straight lines.

i also have this problem with some converter… but I don’t have this problem with cloud converter.
did you try it ?

Bro! Your a Legend! This just worked for me!

I took a SVG from Affinity Designer iPad, and converted it to a DXF. Then imported it into Shapr just fine.
Thank you!

1 Like

First image is SVG to DXF
Last image is EPS to DXF

SVG to DXF does still give multiple straigt lines instead of a curve.
EPS to DXF was a lot better but still not one continiouse line. Still a great improvement over svg to dxf.

Both conversions was missing parts of the design.
I didn`t check measurments.