Import Project-able Logo

Hello everyone,

I’ve been using Shapr3D as my first CAD program and it has been a wonderful experience. As an engineering student with business aspirations, I figure I need practice and the markets available to me right now are not industrial but commercial and consumer. So, my desire is to be able to take a logo and import it in such a way that edges which can be projected and/or extruded. That either means building it from scratch in another program or tracing in an another program and then bringing into Shapr. I am not yet committed to an art program as my past design experience is moderate at best and in animated graphics, so I want to expand my software and skillset with intent.

Thanks in advance for any information and I’m hoping for a recommendation of file type/important settings/etc rather than a ‘not possible’!

-Cyre

I don’t have all the steps in front of me, but I have used Krita a lot remove backgrounds from a stock logo or image file and then convert to a png file. Then I use reaConverter to take it from png to dwg, and then I can import it to shapr. Is that what you are trying to do?

Hi Cyre,

I do this quite often so I’ll share my thoughts.

If you’re wanting to create logos or trace them then I recommend using Affinity products. It’s a one time purchase and worth every penny if you use it on a regular basis. Alternatively you have software like Inkscape which is free and also has automatic image tracing.

Image tracing will get you so far but they often need a clean up. As above, Inkscape works ok and if you’re on iPad I’d recommend using the Vector Converter app.

If you’re not already aware, logos should be made in a vector format and translating that vector to something that can be used in Shapr requires it to be converted as there’s no svg import… yet.

The Vector Converter app works well, converting to dxf/dwg (can’t remember which one) but it sometimes needs cleaning up or it might be missing parts. Affinity recently introduced dxf/dwg export and I’m having mixed experiences with it, sometimes it’s great and sometimes it just won’t import.

At the moment I’m having the most success with this website: svg2step it’ll convert an svg into a step file and it’s been really great so far.

Of course there’s always more than one way to skin a cat and I’m sure other people would have their own recommendations that might work better.

2 Likes

Your logo needs to be in vector format. DFX is your best bet and most vector programs (like free Inkscape) can export DFX.

I use Corel Draw for this (expensive) but the best tool to draw technical illustrations and great for logos or customized text. Adobe illustrator works too but is more artist-centric and was unsuitable in my line work.

If your logo is a bitmap you’ll need to export your model from shapr into another program to map it to the model surface. Else you have to convert to vector first for use in Shapr.

He means DXF.:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I was this close to asking specifically about vector info but didn’t want to cut off other good advice at the pass. Turns out the vector path is the way go, based on what I’m reading now.

I’ve heard the term bitmap before but I can’t say I know much about it, applications, pros/cons/etc. Something I’ll have to google when I get a moment.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

-Cyre