Importing a single object from a large project into a new project

I often need to import a single object that I have iterated many times from one project into another project, however I cannot easily export a single object from a project as a Shapr file.

This really slows down the workflow not being able to drag and drop an object from one Shapr project to another.

How I currently do it, is I duplicate the file, then I delete all of the unwanted bodies, then I export a SHAPR file and then import that body into the new project.

Why can’t we just isolate that body and then export as a shapr file from there?
This would be a huge help as I come across this very frequently.

Thanks.

Consider adding screenshots and as many details as possible, to help the Shapr3D team and the community understand why you need this feature. Describing your workflow helps us building the right feature.

Brief description of the outcomes that you expect from this feature:

Eg. “this feature should allow me to edit and create constrained assemblies with 100 000+ parts” or “using this feature I should be able to create G2 continuous lofts and manipulate the shape real time” or “with this feature I want to be able to quickly find a part in my designs by searching for its name”.
Understanding the outcomes that you expect from this feature helps us more than describing an actual implementation of the feature that you’d expect.

What can’t you achieve without this feature?

Is this a workflow blocker for you? Is this why you can’t use Shapr3D for work? Is this slowing you down?

2 Likes

Just isolate the body and export it as an X_T file. You lose the sketches and, in the beta, history, but the file will be in native Parasolid format, which will import without translation.

Isoler le corps, l’exporter en ‘STP’’, et le ré importer dans le dossier de notre choix fonctionne très bien également, et c’est très rapide.

Sorry guys, but the solution given in the last two answers (exporting the isolated object as an X_T or STP file) doesn’t work if some of the items that we need to export are mesh objects.

It’s not a personal choice to use mesh objects in a solid modeling software. Sometimes due to the vast majority of CAD files of real-world models being in a mesh format due to the Building Information Modeling (BIM) standard, typically Revit files, you have to first export those in a 3rd-party 3D software to STL (because Shapr3D is really limited in import options) then import them into Shapr3D, where we can make a few modifications to them (non-uniform scale, adding colors, transparency to glass, etc.) but after this, there is absolutely no way to pass these modifications from one Shapr3D project to another, except through the single cumbersome explanation of the OP (BTW @rvandope, thanks for the tip!)

PS: Converting mesh bodies to solid form is again another thing that Fusion360 is able to do. The point is that we’re using Shapr3D instead…
https://help.autodesk.com/view/fusion360/ENU/?guid=MESH-CONVERT-TO-SOLID
Since Shapr3D is unable to process mesh files properly, apart from importing STL or 3MF (and that’s about it, practically nothing else can be done afterwards apart from colorization or deformation), it would be nice if it offered this feature too.

Hi

Not sure if this helps but has worked for me.

1. Duplicate project
  2. Place required object and associated sketches in folder
  3. Delete everything else
  4. Re-name

Not sure that this method would work with Parametric version.

Andy

It would be useful in HBPM as well to be able to select a body or bodies in a project and export to another shapr file and only take the history and sketches and geometry that directly made those bodies and that also scrubbed the deletions and history dead ends as well. I have several large models that are becoming sluggish to work with and it would be great to re-use the freshened up conponents in new project(s) and be able to modify some of the basis sketches, etc.
Better still would be to export and link, so that the definition of those parts is actually removed from the big project and placed into a linked child project.