Improvements to parametric modeling

We’ve been talking about that in the other thread here haha

Yeah I realise that we are all covering the same or similar ground, as and when we get to it all.
Do you see and get my videos that I tried to upload above? If you can open them do you have any comments. I can work around some of these and also know that I and others know not to delete sketches etc, as well as unhiding collapsed sketches I think I can get back to fairly normal drawing again, but it has been challenging. As far as the history side goes, I can see huge benefits, and have used it, but the complexity gets overwhelming. It seems a pity in a way to switch it off or not bother with it, BUT then you miss out on its potential benefits.

About parametric and history issues. If I understood correctly with the introduction of parametric history had to be changed as not deletable to keep working parametric logics. The downside of this is that sketched can not be deleted without deleting dependents objects generated, so sketches are hidden by default which in some cases is not totally helpful. The fix would be to collapse and delete the history. But what if a project could be set, when created, as parametric or not parametric? would it be a possible solution to keep old behavior and avoid the dependency to the history for non parametric projects and enable new functionalities for parametric projects? Thanks

Hi, thanks for the support. Since the last release with parametric and history changed I noticed that I can not draw sketches on existing surfaces with auto construct sketch.
Before I was used to double tap on my iPad a surface where I want to draw a sketch and just drawing the first line it was automatically generating the lines of adjacent lines or curves. that was very helpful to replicate some curves in automatic for example to sketch just a portion of the surface to extrude after. Now as a workaround I found that I can draw on the surface going outside of the surface like with a rectangle and then I get automatically the lines. However the previous behavior was maybe more helpful. Thanks for your time on this.

This has been rejected fully. To paraphrase, the response was this is how things are going to be from now on. The collapse history function was the concession to the upset users that were so used to direct modeling.

@TENZ Your second comment might receive some more traction in the Need Help? category. I do know there are some features/bugs still being worked out in subsequent updates.

1 Like

Is there a way to completely disable/turn off this feature? I can understand having it be an option but the force change to using it honestly has left me kind of frustrated with using shapr3d.

It’s a total change to the workflow that I’ve had over the past year or so of using it

1 Like

Thanks I found a similar issue in the “Need Help?” section. I guess is the auto highlight centers that will solve my problem. will wait for the next release with bug fixes. Thanks

No, We’ve been told essentially, this is how it is now. They are introducing an option to “collapse history” to appease those who prefer it the old way. That however will have to be done repeatedly throughout the process, not as a single choice to disable.

Not sure if this has been answered somewhere, ive read through this whole thread, but the last few updates have made my work flow take much longer & not being able to delete sketches thats not needed anymore without affecting the needed model from the sketch is just making the files bloated. Its causing my computer to stutter (easily consuming 8gb of vram).

Also did i miss something but when sketching a plane from an existing object circle Centerpoints or lines dont auto generate like previously when ypu connect a “line” to it. This is a huge blow cause now i would need to trace the part agian that i need to modify. Agian this has made using this software very unpleasant.

Side note: when the new update launched the bloating of locking sketches in caused me to crash on a file ive been working on for a year & loosing that file.

@Peva2298 Yep, all of your concerns have been expressed by many. It’s a backlash that I don’t think the Shapr team was necessarily expecting either as their responses have changed in tone over the past week or two from incredulousness to more understanding.

Some of the thing you brought up are already set for change in the next update, read on other threads within the next week or two… hopefully. I’m still waiting on answers to fixes to the performance issue bug on certain models.

Namely the sketches, they’re incorporating an option to collapse the history to remove the dependencies so sketches can be deleted. Unfortunately it won’t be an on/off scenario so this will have to be done after pretty much every step. It’s also described as not selective, meaning you either lose all the history or none of it.

The circle centerpoint was apparently an oversight bug that’s also being corrected.

As for projection of sketches, I know that there has been some annoyance at the way it’s currently working. ie. not being able to modify the projection or other bugs like you described. I haven’t seen much on the boards as to potential fixes but I would assume they are being worked on as well.

I think the update was just a BIG change all at once that threw older users for a loop. The functionality changed overnight for a lot of us. I understand the thought process and the reasoning of why these changes were implemented to work with the new HBPM but for users who preferred old direct modeling it was indeed a massive disruption.

2 Likes

Indeed, many changes overnight; however, there was a public beta that went over a year where users could dabble with, explore and learn while not affecting any of their work.

@Bob3DPO while true, however (and i can only speak from my experience) I doubt many people even knew about it that were just using the program and not on these boards. I for one had no clue this was coming until I saw a post on instagram about it since I don’t usually have much of an online footprint and try to avoid social media as it’s a cesspool haha. I only signed into this discord to find out what the hell was going on after I downloaded the update.

Without knowing that there was a public beta and it could be tried, or more importantly if we didn’t like it simply wouldn’t update to the new version, has a lot of us feeling like this was thrust upon us. Whether fair or not.

1 Like

Understood. For future reference, the “What’s New?” section when you open Shapr3D does have some interesting articles…

1 Like

Please improve the mirroring function in the sketch. Currently, the function transfers part of the sketch to the mirrored surface, but it does not transfer symmetric constraints with it. This means that if I change the dimensions of one part in the sketch, I have to change the other part as well because it does not automatically adjust. I work with mirroring in sketch a lot, and this adjustment would greatly improve my workflow.

Yes, coming soon.

3 Likes

Not every performance issue is related to parametric modeling, but if you believe that the latest release degraded the performance of any of your existing designs, please let us know.

@Istvan what’s the best way to connect with Shapr on this specific issue? I want to ensure it’s routed accordingly to help :slight_smile:

I could copy this and replace mirroring with “offset line” and it would still work. Removes any dependent dimensions and constraints including the offset. So if something is changed all of a sudden circles move, lines are no longer horizontal/vertical, etc.

Please contact the support team directly if you can’t share the issue publicly, or you can share it here as well if it’s not confidential.

I guess a big improvement would be to create at one geometric position different sketches rather than only one. I really don’t understand the concept behind it.