Is switching from MacBook to iPad a step forward?

Solved this one i have a bean bag i lie on the floor on top of bean bag. With iPad Pro in front of me In front of a nice warm fire. And while the wife watches tv i do all my design work until the wee hrs. It’s amazing how quickly time flies when you are creating.

3 Likes

Which hand do you use? Have you experienced situations then just after pencil touch iPad ignores your first finger touch? For me it is constant behaviour.

I recently bought an iPad pro 12.9 M2 especially for modeling in Shapr3D. And for now I disappointed in it. Doing modeling on Mac is much faster and more precise.
Only thing is better on iPad is mobility.

Have to emphasise that I compare Mac 27 inch screen with space mouse and regular mouse with additional buttons configured on shift and cmd keys with just an iPad and pencil 2.

If answering on topic caster question, I don’t think switching to iPad is a step forward. But using iPad together with Mac is good idea.

2 Likes

Hi Alex,

I’m left handed and a true lefty at that. On desktops, some lefties can and do use the mouse with their right hand. I cannot. I have to use my left hand. I have an M1 iPad Pro with Pencil2.

I have never had an issue when, after Pencil touch, the iPad ignores my first finger touch. As mentioned before, I do all my modeling, menu selections, Items List selections, etc, etc, with the Pencil. Also note that the palm of my hand or any part of my left hand never touches the screen except for single finger rotation and two finger (middle finger & thumb) pan and zoom navigation. The only time I use my right hand is when typing (naming, exporting, etc.). I also swapped the interface having the menu and Items List on the right side of the screen.

Now, with recent updates, there has been some lag. I experienced the annoying double tap issue when trying to select a body. It’s gotten better but it is still there. There is also an ocasional lag when attempting to sketch a line where the Pencil appears to skip a beat, so to speak, and the line starts a short distance from the intended position. Same when sketching a spline.

I consider myself a seasoned user of Shapr3D (direct modeling) since I got my first iPad Pro in October of 2018. At that time the app was iPad only. I was pleased to learn when the app was ported to the Mac as I have an iMac Pro. I never adapted to the desktop version for a couple of reasons- the need for all the keyboard use (single key, multiple key), left/right mouse clicks, and, the fact that the Left or Right interface selection is not on the Mac. I have nothing against using the Mac, it’s just not for me. BTW, I too have (an early) Space Mouse and found it more useable than a regular mouse. My only con with the iPad is the limited amount of visual real estate, but I"m used to it.

My current workflow is minimizing sketches in favor of modeling and manupulating bodies. I will have to change my workflow and mindset now that the parametric version has gone live. I’ll have to come up to speed all over again as ‘history based’ is new to me. After seeing a couple of tutorials, I can see some real benefits.

You are a seasoned CAD user and I understand your comparison of desktop vs iPad. I also respect your opinion about switching to iPad as a step forward although I disagree as others have their own particular workflows. Sorry to hear about you experience with the iPad. BTW, your contribution to the community here has been outstanding!

-Mike

1 Like

Me too, as I have only one left hand. So on desktop I use mouse with left hand too, as you can understand.

That’s very interesting. Could you be able to do a couple of tests for me. Maybe it’s something wrong with my setup so I would like to able to avoid this behaviour somehow.

All that true for me but I have that annoying issue.

I’ll be happy to help out. Why don’t you message me separately where we can have a back and forth dialog. Here’s a t-shirt a friend of mine gave me.

4 Likes

:rofl: Mike, you are a super power! McD

That reminds me so much of The Princess Bride during the fencing scene.

2 Likes

Pretty sure The Man in Black was using a SpaceMouse to be able to maneuver so deftly.

1 Like

I never saw the movie so I had to find it on Youtube. Funny scene.
That reminds me of going to a Benihana’s for dinner where the cook puts on quite a show with his knife and utensils. Once saw a Benihana lefty cook do his thing and it looked like he was going to cut himself many times but he prevailed.

1 Like

Do yourself a favor and watch the whole movie asap. So, so, so many delightful quotes that have become a part of popular culture. You will be surprised at how often you will notice Princess Bride references after you see the movie.

Plus, it is just a fun, feel-good movie. The wife and I (both in our 70’s) have literally watched it dozens of times, and still watch it at least once a year —even though we can both pretty much quote it verbatim. It gets better with each viewing.