Is there a way to create folders to organize my designs?

I can’t wait for folders, it will make complex models, and sets of models, SO much easier, at the moment I have lots of iterations of the same file, and have to export these and then organize them, but this means each time I make a change I have to remember to export it again, and do manual version control etc.

Thanks, Istvan.

To be clear, folders are just one way of solving this problem. Being able to sort by name, date created, date modified, colour tags, size, etc, would also all be useful if folders are too difficult. Literally any method by which one could organize their designs in the app would be a massive improvement.

I await the inclusion of such functionality with great eagerness (if also with more than a little skepticism). I for one have redesigned entire objects from scratch multiple times now, simply because that’s easier/faster than trying to find them by endlessly scrolling.

3 Likes

I personally like “tags” better than folders (sort of like GMail). This way, a drawing can be in more than one group. Then in the “designs” view can use the standard Mac/iOS predicate view (I assume there is something similar in Windows) to filter them down smartly. If the user can save filters and select those, in my opinion, that would be way better than folders.

This is n example of NSPredicate in an app I use:
2022-08-30 08.01.33

I envision these “tags” would be contained in the Shapr3D project file. Also, I think this is an easier implementation than folders. All the project files live at whatever logical file path makes the most sense. Adding/removing tags does not require a file move since it is just a project metadata manipulation. And “tags” are OS agnostic.

My $.02

NSPredicate Reference:
https://developer.apple.com/documentation/foundation/nspredicate?language=objc

1 Like

Hi Shapr team, cc @Istvan! Friendly bump on this - is there any news about when this feature might be usable? ANY kind of organization, folders/tags/even the ability to manually reorganize designs (rather than “most recent”) would be a huge help.

Is there somewhere where we can see what’s on Shapr’s roadmap?

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @Curiobot, we don’t have a public roadmap. Folders are coming early next year, the team is already working on it.

4 Likes

Ive only been using shaper3d for a few months and I seriously need an easy way to organize my files.

1 Like

Hi @CrimsonDawn , we are aware that this is a major issue for many of our users, and we are working on a solution. This is problem is a bit more complex than it seems due to Shapr3D Cloud’s Sync feature, and but we are working on a robust solution that will enable you to organize your designs.

4 Likes

As a newby - not for long anymore I intend - I bump on the same topic: Folders please, and let me organize where I save my designs. My plan is to become a paying customer, and folders will be needed.
I guess - this way of saving the designs comes from the Apple origin. Am I right?

1 Like

I would prefer to save locally!

1 Like

You can turn of Shapr3D Cloud anytime, and then your data will be stored locally.

It’s impossible to deal with the current lack of organization. Even search bar would be better then what we have. When you make things to be 3D printed and each printed part needs its own file, it adds up quick. The lack of even basic organizational features in this age is unfathomable.

1 Like

Hi @Istvan! Checking in with this feature.

It’s 2023 now, could we get an ETA or update re: how this feature is coming along? For the sake of bizdev transparency and maintaining community goodwill, I def recommend making your roadmap publicly-viewable.

Love to you and your team (I’ve been there, engineering is hard!), but this is a pretty basic feature waiting for over three years on a subscription paid app. While cloud sync helps, the lack of any file structure makes it VERY hard to continue justifying Shapr for projects. I enjoy making sketches for fun, so the files get intermingled between work projects to the point where I’m starting to hate using Shapr recreationally for how it muddies my workflow (and vise versa).

1 Like

Hi @Curiobot , we can’t make our roadmap public, but folders are now in the implementation phase an coming in a matter of months.

I understand why this sounds like a basic feature, but in reality it’s rather complex due to certain other developments that we can’t disclose publicly yet.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply. Looking forward to hearing more.

You’re right, it’s not necessarily easy thing to implement - especially with cloud sync, and whatever new features are coming. By basic, I mean “able to sort my content” in terms of functionality / usability. Def had some client demos that were a little embarrassing from scrolling past a 3D modelled butt while getting to the work sketch :joy:

As an interim non-folder-hierarchical solution, sort methods in the Designs tab could be more actionable? “Date Created”, “Last Modified”, etc. A “Favourites” star. With Alphabetical I could change the name of my designs to “_Project1_PartA”, “_Personal_FunkyChair” or whatever. Sorry to armchair design, it’s just been 3+ years of “coming soon” at this point.

1 Like

Yes, I understand that the lack of this feature is frustrating, and we are working on closing this gap.

5 Likes

Here’s hoping! Because literally any additional organizational option (tags, folders, a range of “sort by” options, personas, etc.) would make Shapr3d infinitely more usable.

2 Likes

We’re STILL waiting in 2023! The Shapr3D promise of “on the roadmap” wasn’t sincere.

It’s under implementation.

5 Likes

Cheers up! You can do it! Come on!

1 Like

Great news! Thanks for letting me know. I hope it will permit subfolders.

3 Likes