Isolate should not override Hidden

Here is my use case: I am designing a sound absorbing partial box. It started out with a left side, front and right side. There is a metal frame, wood sides, covering of sound absorbing material and plastic edging around the open sides and corners—wherever the sound absorbing tiles may be cut.

I organized the bodies into folders: Frame, Wood, Absorber, Plastic. Then I need to make a change to the design. Now it has left, right, front and top. I wanted to focus on the plastic parts in the lower portion of the project. I put the top plastic parts into a sub folder that is nested in the plastics folder.

I hide that nested folder, then I back out to the top level and select the plastic folder. Only the bodies I want to work with are highlighted. So far, so good. Now I click the isolate button, and to my surprise, the hidden parts are now revealed along with the parts I wanted to isolate.

What I was expecting was to have only the non-hidden parts isolated.

It was easy enough to get my desired result without using isolate. However the behavior of the isolate button was not something I would predict.

My feature request is that the isolate function should not show hidden bodies.

3 Likes

I agree.
I use Isolate mode all the time. I often select a few items to work on them in isolation mode. I would like to hide one of those items while continue working. I cannot hide it. I have to get out of isolation mode before I can hide. Then I find I have to go back and select the other items to continue in isolation mode. A back and forth situation. I hope this wasn’t too confusing.
Isolation mode is a great feature. I just wish it was a little more flexible.

3 Likes