Let’s talk about the new pricing

Initially it won’t be included in the hobby tier, but I believe this is something that we will change very soon. We will also introduce SVG support in the near future, and that will be most likely included in the hobby tier. Not decided yet though.

This is certainly one way to look at it. Fusion is indeed super cheap, and it can even do electric circuit design, simulation, etc… I think however a different perspective to look at this is whether Shapr3D can do what you want and can it do better/faster/easier than other products? I think the answer is surprisingly often yes, and of course, for some people what we offer is still not enough, but this will be true forever. But as we are adding more and more features every 2 weeks, we are rapidly catching up.

5 Likes

I consider my $240/year buy-in price an investment in the future. If the application continues on it’s current feature development slope, I’ll consider it a bargain. I can only hope that Pro users will continue to get the top tier available when (not if) the pricing model changes again.

1 Like

I am firing up my Atom3D from Alibre. I used to have 3 seats with Alibre full version. Excellent Parametric modeler. Great features including scripting.

I miss Alibre. I cannot afford it truth be told.

Atom3D is okay, it has more features I wish Shapr3D had.

IMO Shapr3D is not pro level yet and you are asking for pro level pricing.

DON’T get me wrong, I will not be going anywhere. But are you REALLY ready to compete against Pro level programs that offer much more?

I think you have a ways to go. So what’s coming SOON to justify the price changes? (I’m on your side truly, but really, what’s coming? You need more!)

With Alibre I can present a professional design. Not so with Shapr.

2 Likes

Drawings.

What do you miss the most compared to Alibre?

We are also introducing a hobby tier that will be just $150.

Hey Istvan,
So as I use this for setting stuff up for laser cutting and plan to maintain my pro I’m not too worried by hobby tier but I do have some suggestions anyways.

Big one is allowing DXF for those doing stuff like laser or CNC.

The other is, I talked to at least 6 people this past weekend interested in using their lasers for more than they have been doing. I kept showing off Shapr3d and I think making sure the hobbyist tier has what people need is an important potential revenue stream. I like the idea of a cheaper, and around 12 bucks a month this fits, plan that allows people to move beyond tinkercad into something allowing them to leverage their software even further.

1 Like

I agree, the assembly options are very important. And why nobody mentioned surface modeling tools. It could give us so much freedom in designing. I still struggle to create some complex shapes while in Solidworks I can do them in a few minutes.

I’m also a great fan of Shapr3D and pro user, and I will continue my subscription too. That hurts my wallet but I hope You will use all of this money to give us more awesome options in the future.

P.S.
Another idea . We need rendering tools. Is there any possibility that You will give us some options in this area - for iPad. I still haven’t found any app for iPad that allows me to do simple renders . Please, don’t mention JIG - I tried it but don’t like it :wink:

2 Likes

These are all on our roadmap.

1 Like

great news ! Can You tell more about dates :slight_smile: This year, next year ?

I can’t :zipper_mouth_face: :slightly_smiling_face: But if you look at the speed at we are improving the app, it’s definitely not in the far future.

But an additional comment on this: our goal for the next 18 months is to become a tool that can be a primary, business critical tool for our customers, while keeping the ease of use and elegance of the product that you all love. Don’t worry, we won’t bloat the product, but we will keep surprising you :slight_smile:

Fine, I’ll wait patiently :innocent:

In Atom3D (Alibre hobby edition)
I have:
Circular and linear/grid arrays
A full range of spline editing tools (node handles, etc)
Reference lines that do not affect body/geometries
A measure tool that is highly useful
Assembly features
Draft angles
Non-uniform scaling
Variable radius Fillet
Variable angle Chamfer

The full version has scripting much more. It’s been 6 years since I had that. Easy to learn and extremely powerful.

Not as fast or intuitive as Shapr…

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Not trying to denigrate, simply asking are you really ready to go pro just yet?

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply Istvan. I hope my post didn’t come off too critical because it was really meant as a hope for future improvement in this amazing product. I can tell by the frequency and type of updates you make that we’re going to be seeing an even more killer product. Looking forward to the updates on the roadmap!

1 Like

To qualify all that I have no intention of going back Alibre Atom. Shapr suits me better for my work style.

1 Like

Hope you dont bloat the cost as well. :grinning:

2 Likes

Pricing for this product is pretty terrible.

Fusion, the main competitor is now $50 less, and offers a COMPLETELY FREE hobbyist tier with no limit to amount of designs. The only thing they limit are the CAM tools. I’m not objecting to paying, $150 seems fair for a powerful tool like this but to limit designs is just hostile towards people who I’m assuming you are trying to turn into advocates for your product.

Autodesk is beating you on price… Garbage, buy every indie and make it a pro-only price, Autodesk. They are also beating you on features. You are more expensive than many pro level 3d suites. You are almost as expensive as Adobe’s whole suite which offers more than one specific use tool.

If I were making money on Shapr, $500/yr is nothing, no questions asked purchase. Paying $150 to learn it, see how it can work in my pipeline, but then be actively discouraged to experiment (by making more than 10 designs), is just, ugh

2 Likes

Hi @fform, thanks for sharing your thoughts on pricing. I strongly encourage you to use the free version of Shapr3D (which is free, for an unlimited time), which allows you to learn and discover it in depth. If you want to try the pro features, you can also start a free trial, which will let you evaluate the full feature set of Shapr3D for 2 weeks.

1 Like

And really @Istvan I’m not even objecting to making some features pro version only. Literally the only thing stopping me from insta-buying the hobby tier is the limit on designs. I love the app and would love to support this kind of software but realistically I’m not going to make money off it in the near future and $500 is just too much.

1 Like

I perfectly understand your concerns. We might tweak the hobby pricing in the future, so it’s great to hear how we could make it better. It might not be clear, but you can of course delete designs as well, so the limit of 10 is a limit on the number of all your workspaces.

About the 10 designs: is it a 10 design quota meaning you can’t make an 11th, or is it 10 active designs and if you want an 11th design you have to archive (export)/delete an existing design to make room for your new design?