Let’s talk about the new pricing

Hey guys,

Did you read about the new business package coming March 8th?
Am I the only one trying to get back on my feet reading $500/year?
Hear me out here, I’m not trying to talk s…t or say it is not worth it but I just switched from Sketchup pro where I was not super happy about paying $300/year and now this. It just feels like going from $240/year to $500/year is a huge increase. I’m a small business and I look into those expenses.
Please share your concerns here.

Thank you shapr3d team, I think you are doing a great job still :wink:

2 Likes

Hi Nico, existing subscribers will stay on the current price and will get access to the new features for free, and we are also introducing a hobby tier for $150/y.

8 Likes

Hi Istvan,

Currently loving the app and looking forward to Drawings.

I’m currently on the pro package through the education programme, and will be for the next year. Before my education program finishes, would you still offer the original $240/year pricing, or would it go to $500?

While I would rather not spend $240 right now in order to lock in the price, $500 in a year might be a little too high for me to continue. Really depends on what the hobby tier includes.

Thank you, great job on the upcoming updates!

Hi @Liamwazzo, the PRO tier will be available until March 8, after that we will only have Hobby and Business tiers. The Hobby tier will be limited to 10 designs, and high quality STL export, while the Business tier will include unlimited designs, export and import compatibility with desktop CAD systems over various file formats, and drawings.

Sorry, but also in the hobby area you need good file formats for CAM programs (self-made milling and turning machines).
STL is only suitable for 3D printing, if at all.

2 Likes

I have the pro version, and have had it since July last year where I got a special discounted price.
So will I now have the business package and how much will I pay. The way I understood it, I would pay my joining yearly fee for LIFE, unless I let my subscription lapse.

Hello - that is correct. The special, discounted price was for the first purchase only, but you will be locked in on the 240USD/year (+VAT) price as long as you keep the subscription.

2 Likes

Hi Daniel
Thank you for that and putting my mind at rest. I am a slow learner but I am making progress and really do like the program…except when a few frustrating things happen, but I am making model parts that I printing that I could never have dreamed of.

1 Like

Hi, I might be a little slow, but as a $240 subscriber since 2019, will I stay on the same plan in the future also? Best regards Hans-Petter Christoffersen

Yes, you will. As long as you keep your current Pro subscription active.

3 Likes

Thank you for quick and reassuring answer. Have a great day. :grin::grin::vulcan_salute:

1 Like

For the Hobby tier, I don’t mind will be limited to 10 designs, but it only export STL no STEP?

Yes, that’s correct. We are targeting that tier for 3D printing. But it’s absolutely possible that there are hobby use cases that we don’t fully understand. What would be the hobby use case for STEP export?

1 Like

I use STEP so I can convert it to skp (via simlab, I have edu license).
STEP file save all color from shapr3d, color looks great even after the conversion to skp.

After that I open file in skp, and save as as pdf (I need vector file).
Then continue doing the final work by using Adobe illustrator (for school poster usually, just simple artwork)

Workflow:
Shapr3d (STEP) - Convert to simlab - Open in SKP so I can save as pdf (vector8 - Final on Adobe Illustrator.

I know the process seems unusual, but creating basic design via 3D app is more easier to me, I can rotate in any angle, it’s really have freedom.image

3 Likes

Hi @myasinsuw, edu licenses will be also upgraded to the Business tier, so there is nothing to worry about! You will be able to keep following this workflow.

1 Like

For CAM programs like https://mecsoft.com/freemill/.
STL is the worst format ever and doesn’t really work on things like that.

I use STEP export in case I ever decide to use another CAD and so others can use my designs (like open source). In Thingiverse and GitHub I try to always include STEP so others can use/modify the drawings however they want. I don’t know any other format that is more compatible than STEP

On a side note I wish everyone would include STEP in their open source creations.

Examples:

3 Likes

Hi Istvan just would like to thank you for this awesome app. When I saw that the drawings are coming, i was supper happy to try it out. I do understand your Future tiers from a Business point of view, but as a hobby Designer like me, who just would like to trying and playing out the app for some private stuff, it’s just not worth anymore especcially the business tier (for 2D drawings). I would highly appreciated at least to create also the 2D Drawings if I would something letting to manufacture. I do not need any colors or 10 designs, I was even happy with two designs, but at least the 2D drawings should possible with the hobby tier.

I hope you can understand me and add at least the 2D drawings to the hobby tier, also acceptable for limited designs.
thanks.

I have a feeling that Shapr is going to be a major player in the CAD industry (kind of already is). Just a quick couple of comments from someone who has used just about every major CAD and CAM package out there:

• I totally understand wanting to restrict STEP to pro levels since it is the most universal format. That said, a hobby use case that we’ve encountered centers around the ability to import / export DXFs for use on our laser and plasma cutters. Any chance that might be in the hobby tier?

• Having worked on $200K+ workstations in the '90s (SGIs) and ProE software I can say that it was pretty eye opening to be able to afford no less than 3 seats of SolidWorks Premium for the price of one year of maintenance for one seat of ProE. And then about 10 years later we’ve transitioned from 10+ seats of SolidWorks to Fusion360 because, you know, pretty much a factor of 10 or more in savings. My point is - I hope, and am fairly confident you do, have some smart bean counters there. I’ve been a pro user almost since Shapr was released and though I have little doubt the software will easily be worth $500/yr, I don’t believe it is currently worth more than the base Fusion360 subscription. (Of course it’s all relative to each users unique use case…) And don’t get me wrong - I love Shapr and will continue to use is it (thank you for upgrading us early adopters). But without a strong drawing and assembly mode along with patterning and some other basic features, it’s just not there YET. I know it’s coming and am very excited for it…

I mostly add my two cents in hopes that you can adopt as many people as possible before pricing them out of consideration since I think this really is a game changer. Of course as soon as someone (wink wink) offers me SolidWorks like ability in a user interface like Shapr, I’ll be pulling out the wallet again!

One last thing - I love that you are continually updating the software, I just hope that focus isn’t drawn too far away from the iPad (with the Mac version) because it is the extreme flexibility the iPad affords that keeps me loving Shapr. I just love working on CAD at my favorite coffee shop…

Thanks for listening.

4 Likes

We might expand the hobby tier in the future, this is just the start. But we can’t include everything for $150 unfortunately. On the other hand we are absolutely open to suggestions for pricing and packaging.

1 Like