LIDAR scanning

Hi Istvan,

many thanks for the reply. I do understand your working on it and that iOS14 plays a role in this (unlocks the api perhaps so you can do more?)

However this is somewhat vague or open ended. I fully appreciate the issues involved and that you dont want to say yes its coming if you really dont know yet. With all of that are you able to give any indication at all if you think this may become a reality anytime soon or is it someways out yet?

Thanks for your time

Hopefully the API will improve and maby combine lidar and photo telementry?
But for now it looks like the LIDAR suits better for meassure and AR and not model scanning?
Still usefull though, both for shapr3d and in general.
Room scanning and being able to see your models in greatly improved AR in split seconds is brilliant.

I´m jumping over the 2020 ipad pro since I´m happy with my 2018, but I will buy the Iphone 12 and maby also the rumored apple glasses.

So what I really hope from Shapr3d is the USDZ export option and maby AR view of models directly in the app.
And maby a iphone shapr3d scanner and viewer app?
(Btw he also shows an app you could try out today and export to shapr3d: Lidar Scanner 3d )

1 Like

yes i watched that vid earlier today…so not expecting miracle software. But measuring for doing floor-plans etc would be brilliant - alas this software does not do it yet.

1 Like

I totally understand your frustration. Unfortunately we did not have control over what goes into the Apple ad. In the press release it was mentioned that this feature is coming by the end of the year, but obviously nobody reads that. We are planning to release this feature later this year.

2 Likes

Having worked for a small app developer in both a marketing and development capacity, I can say that if Apple calls and asks if you’d consent to be one of three apps that are the main showcase for an exciting new core technology, showcased on the WWDC big screen, there is no way you’re not going to take that chance, none. So it is safe to say the developers had no say in this, as they’ve stated. You’d be more justified in being unhappy with Apple who’ve given every impression this technology was further along than it is.

For me, I am really hoping Shapr3D pulls off the first and only useable LIDAR app - LIDAR assisted 3D modeling of room size structures. That is what it looks like the demo was aiming for and that would be a big step indeed. It COULD be all Shapr3D is aiming for is lidar assisted AR placement of models in a real world environment. That would be a big disappointment.

1 Like

Believe me, we really want that too :slight_smile:

2 Likes

By all means, if you need Alpha or Beta testers, don’t be a stranger. I really look forward to seeing what you come up with.

1 Like

Agree. The confusion of when this will be released is on Apple´s hand not Shapr3d.

Shapr3d and iPad Pro is still worth it without that feature though.

@Istvan
Any news on USDZ export though?

Is that in the pipeline before LIDAR scanning in the app? Is it in the pipeline at all?

Atleast then one can use the advantage of the LIDAR to get precise AR view of models one have designed. I won´t buy the 2020 ipad pro, but I will buy the Iphone 12 Pro. So for me that feature is wanted more at the moment :wink:
Right now I will have to export it through icloud to my mac to convert it with the Reality converter and then import it to the IOS Reality Composer or Adobe Aero.

Maby consider a Iphone shapr3d scanner and 3D/AR viewer companion app?
Maby also the ability to Live AR broadcast models being modified on the ipad to iphones and the upcomming apple glass :wink:
That would be awsome in design meetings and with the client.

Yes, we are close to release USDZ export. We scheduled it for this quarter. The prototype is working already, we need to do some changes to make it more performant.

3 Likes

Awsome :slight_smile: I´m looking forward for it.

I know the video above shows limited scanning. Not sure what SiteScape is dong, but they have beta app that requires iPad Pro2020 and ios14beta. Clearly they use camera as well, but I believe also use LIDAR. Here is gallery.
https://www.sitescape.ai/gallery

Also while this app scan is similar quality to video above, it does apply texture, and allows post scan cropping.
http://www.3dscannerapp.com/

2 Likes

Holy crap. This is so cool.

If you have the ipad pro you can download the beta from their website, scan and then import as OBJ to shapr3d :wink:
www.3dscannerapp.com

3 Likes

It’s definetly going to be a big thing at the iphone12 event:)

Scan and Share 3d objects;)

Extraordinarily Humbling!! Fantastically Awesome!!! :flushed::joy:

Viewing this demonstration through the eyes of an old man which I am, the amount of time reduced simply with the sway of an iPad capturing solid objects, instantly manipulating those solid objects in Shapr3d is truly, in my view, remarkable achievements!!! It’s certainly a game changer!! :+1:t2::sunglasses:

This IS very cool. But using that exact app and a 2020 ipad pro, I cannot get those results. In my instance, the LIDAR ‘paints over’ whatever geometry I’ve scanned, so it is very hard not to say impossible to get clean geometry from this. It is like trying to put a thin, even layer of paint using a brush that is constantly gushing paint. What I am hoping for is a LIDAR scanner that will leave an already scenned surface alone after a good scan, or let the user select which parts of a scanned geometry you want to ‘rescan’. Or better yet, something that replaces scanned geometry with real geometry in the same place. Scan a pillar, it will put a cylinder with the same dimensions there. Scan the wall, a plane.

Yes, correct. This is what we are struggling with. The current implementation of the LiDAR is optimized for AR occlusion. We are still excited about the room scanning use case (for large objects it’s quite accurate relatively), but with the current implementation of the sensor it’s not possible to accurately scan smaller objects. It’s an amazing piece of hardware though, it’s just that there is a tradeoff between range and accuracy, and for the AR occlusion use case big range is more important than short range accuracy.

2 Likes

My dream would be if Shapr3D would enable me to ‘block up’ an environment akin to what the author of this example does - it would not even need to be 100% correct for this use case. But it would open the door for a whole new level of VR immersion. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcyOVd6awZY

Yes, we have built a prototype for a similar use case, but we have some technical issues in real life circumstances. We really hope that we will be able to fix them.

1 Like