LIDAR scanning

Have anyone with the 2020 ipad protried Magicplan? https://apps.apple.com/no/app/magicplan/id427424432

Then export it as dxf and extrude it in shapr3d?

2 Likes

Nice… thx

I went and bought the iPad Pro based off the video as well. My wife is an interior designer and if Shapr3D can deliver on the items showcased in the video, it will transform the interior design world. The 2d design to AR visualization gives the customer instant visual feedback in the space. this could literally cut out days of CAD work and outsourcing sketches. THEN, if Shapr3d can dial in the finite accuracy of measuring spaces, that cuts out soo much time as well. What used to take days could in theory now take a day or less. plus this program possibly levels the playing field for small designers vs huge corporate designers. we need this please!

2 Likes

Now that IOS14 is Official, any word on support for the LIDAR?

Some hint on what the status and possible functionality of a LIDAR integration to Shapr would be a great inspiration. Give us something. Anything. Even if it is bad news. I have been working more and more with LIDAR to scan medium to large rooms and buildings, and in terms of speed and ease of use it is extremely impressive. But as we all know the quality is unuseable in its current state as anything but a reference. So if Shapr3d could be a bridge between actual, high quality 3D geometry and real-time scanning, that would be a total gamechanger.

Having looked closely at the infamous Apple ad for Shapr3D (which made me go buy the iPad Pro for that matter) I am a little bit concerned if what the ad showed was actually simply an AR placement and occlusion plugin for regular Shapr3d. I assumed (or hoped) it would be a LIDAR assisted building tool. The staff at Shapr has not given any information on which it is. An AR visualisation of 3D models would be useless for my purposes so if that is what you are working on, that would be a big, big disappointment.

So anything, a hint, would be appreciated. And, as always, I would be happy to lend my services as a beta tester.

While waiting for shapr3d to release theirs you could sign up as beta tester for Magicplan. They did just released their beta.

You could also download

Or

All of them have OBJ and USDZ export. Export as OBJ to shapr3d.

Thank you! Will check out MagicPlan. 3D Scanner App is so far the best LIDAR scanner I’ve come across, in that it exports textured 3D files. But the geometrical quality of the scans is a real issue.

Only a few hours now before they release the iphone 12 pro with lidar:) I Can´t wait. I will buy it and explore the possibilities on how to combine it with shapr3d.

• Scan objects and rooms and export it to my Ipad and shapr3d.
  • Get improved AR of models made in shapr3d.

There are other apps for this, but would it be hard to make a companion app for the iphone? For viewing models, AR view and scanning objects ann importing it directly to the shapr3d workspace on the ipad?

1 Like

Still not a hint of any LIDAR assisted functionality from Shapr3D so I would not hold my breath.
Still hoping for any sort of announcement on this.

well, I have the 2020 ipad pro 12.9 and the Lidar feature is fancy and fun, but the resulting precision so far isnt superb. Dont get me wrong its neat and fun to do that on the fly with just an iPad. But I know LIDAR results from my work (have been using FARO 3D Scanners with up to 70m range) and thats a different world.
I’m not sure the bulit in LIDAR will work for anything but roughly placing IKEA sofas in your living room… but I’d be delighted to be proven wrong. Jo

Well, the hope is that Shapr3D will create some form of LIDAR-assisted basic structure modeling. The showcase video Apple introduced the 2020 iPad with seemed to hint about that.

I would guess they will deliver the Lidar feature before the year is over. I won´t start holding my breath before 2021

Here is a quick lidar scanning of my face using my Iphone Xs and MeasureKit. So I do see som great potential in the Iphone 12 Lidar sensor to be used in combination with shapr3d on my ipad.

1 Like

Perfect for designing Sunglasses (I´m no sunglass designer though)

2 Likes

that looks rather nice and smooth, better than what I got with the few apps I played with.

What software are you using ? Measure kit is the Apple API right ? something you wrote yourself ? But for or a sunglass designer it would be helpful to also get the ears :-), is that possible ?

thx for sharing Jo

https://apps.apple.com/no/app/measurekit-ar-ruler-tape/id1258270451

Very interesting use case. My brain melted as the backward looking face was rotated :exploding_head: Took me seconds to understand what’s happening. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I was even able to map the «glasses» made in shapr3d to my face in AR with Reality composer on ipad (using face as anchor)

And Istvan, how about that iphone companion app ?:wink:

For viewing models made in shapr3d in 3D and AR on the phone + lidar scanning with the new iphone?

Well, well, well, you can never know :thinking:

1 Like

Well well, I can only hope :slight_smile:

One of the apps that was featured under the iphone event about the lidar sensor and can be a good addition to the shapr3d app was Jig Workspace. It´s quite the heafty monthly price (2x the monthly price of shapr3d), but it might be worth it for professionals who wants to export the shapr3d files, add materials, animation and text overlay.
The free apps like Reality Converter and Adobe Aero does do some of the same functions when it comes to animation. But Jig does have a nice Materials picker(maby something shapr3d can copy Istvan? :wink:
But it has no USDZ export as I can see (only view AR in the app)

Another one there was a glimse of was a Roomscanner app… Not sure wich one. InstaCad?

This could also probably be used in combination with shap3d while we wait for the Shapr3d AR update :wink:

Their all workarounds, but I rather look forward for what the Shapr3d team will cook up :smiley:

2 Likes

While it is an interesting use case it’s not exactly the most pertinent post in this thread.

Klas has pointedly asked for response related to the implementation that many of us were VERY excited about as showcased in a video that was presumably an indication of capability rather than a stretch goal. Many of use shelled out good money for a device we otherwise didn’t need, with the hopes of utilizing a new tool for immediate benefits. Addressing the questions posed by Klas and others would be a much more appreciated response within the community. As he said, even bad news would be appreciated, more than being ignored.

1 Like