LIDAR scanning

Hello 4jo,
glad to hear from your experiences with iOS LiDAR Scanner possibilities. I had good intentions to go for an iPhone 12 pro or an iPad Pro 2020 because of the LiDAR. My thoughts were to use this for industrial purposes. As an external sales agent I am often in production areas and one of my jobs is to prepare reports of local needs. Sometimes I measure environments and prepare in Shapr3D a 3D Model but this is very time consuming. It would be great if I could scan and import direct to Shapr3D but as you said I fear that the LiDAR quality of the iPhone/iPad LiDAR would not be enough for my needs. So I think I will keep my second generation iPad Pro 12.9 and my iPhone 11 Pro without updating to any Apple LiDAR hardware. Maybe an external LiDAR device would do a better job. Do you have experiences with external LiDAR scanners that communicate direct to the iPad ? Thanks in advance for giving a feedback!

Best regards
Francisco

While you wait for shapr3d You can try out Magicplan for that. It’s possible to export to shapr3d as Dxf and extrude the drawing or export as OBJ

I got my Iphone 12 today. I´ve only tried 3D scanner app from Laan Labs. I did a quick scan of my living room and did an untextured obj export to shapr3d via airdrop.

Hi there - I just saw the announcement of the AR function.
I am really hoping AR visualization is not the technology you have been talking about? Is LIDAR assisted modeling being worked on? I just would appreciate if you could make clear if this is a technology you are working on.

Hello Istvan! Any chance you have an update for the community on the progress of LiDAR room scanning features? I am very excited about the possibilities for scanning equipment into the CAD environment at work!

Hi @gt2scale,

Sure. We are still trying to get to the quality that we would expect from ourselves. Unfortunately when we prototyped the feature, we had very very little opportunity to try it in real life circumstances. It turns out that although very often we can get great results, sometimes we can’t and in those cases we can’t even tell that the results are inaccurate. We don’t want to release something that is half baked. Meanwhile you can download magicplan (https://apps.apple.com/hu/app/magicplan/id427424432) and use it to automatically generate the floor plan using the LiDAR. The floor plan it generates can be imported to Shapr3D.

1 Like

Thank you for the response. I have downloaded and tested Magicplan based on your recommendation. It is a great option for the floor plan capturing, but I am still looking for object scanning options. We have equipment ranging from small to large that we would like to capture into the CAD environment.

I am afraid that the back facing LiDAR scanner wouldn’t be able to get you high quality scans. It’s optimized for larger objects (room sized).

I used EinScan Pro 2x Plus to scan the reference and imported it into Shapr3D as stl mesh. This whole 3D scanning is still in very early stage when it comes to hardware and IPad Pro with LIDAR is not that accurate yet.
I think that Shapr3D as a software could handle it but iPad as a hardware is not that capable yet.

1 Like

Good afternoon,
I downloaded the Pro software version for iPad Pro 2020 some days ago, but I have not understood how it is possible to scan objects, buildings and so forth without importing a non-textured STL file.
Thanks, Simone

Did it ever arrive, was this an apple issue, or a new priority?

@Istvan

Any chance that this is ever going to happen?

It is now! With Apple RoomPlan, part of iOS 16, this is now a possibility. Lets see if and when Shapr implements it, but I would assume they’re hard at work implementing it.