Map 2D shape on yz axis plane to surface perpendicular to an arc on the xy plane

I have drawn a planar shape on the yz axis plane and want to map it to a surface perpendicular to an arc on the xy plane. How do I do this? The real world application here is that I’ve measured the dimensions of a 2D surface wrapped around the curve of the heel of a boot (trying to create a model of a void in the heel of my wife’s shoe that was worn away over time) using a piece of paper and sketching the shape of the void while wrapped around the boot heel. I know the radius of the curve of the heel. I want to create a vertical surface (perpendicular to the ground) from my sketch projected onto surface perpendicular to the ground on the arc of the boot heel. Once I have that I can then create a shell and create a piece that I can insert into the void in the boot heel.

Wow! Did that make sense to anyone? :slightly_smiling_face:

Cheers and thanks!

Hi,

Not sure if I understand correctly, but I think you have a sketch on the YZ axis. You just have to select it’s sketch filling, and extrude it to make it a 3D body.

A short video might help understanding better where you are at exactly and what are you trying to achieve.

Hi,
I don’t want to just extrude a sketch, I want to first project it to an extruded curved shell, then remove the parts of the shell outside the projected sketch. I kind of figured it out using the project tool, but, unfortunately, that tool continues to project the sketch through the shell such that one side of the shell is smaller than the other. I wish the project tool would allow me to have the option to stop projection at the first encountered surface. Then allow me to extrude the projection through the shell so that both sides of the shell had the same size projection.

Thanks,
Eric

Here is a tutorial we had created a few years ago. Though the current UI and behaviour is a bit different, generally it still shows the process quite well. I hope it helps.