Material Orientation Question

I loaded an existing model with walnut material. It’s actually a model where I need the figure in the wood rotated 90 degrees to the way Shapr3D chose to orient it. I selected the face and toggled the Auto Match Body and the material changed appearance slightly but did not rotated as needed. My question is - what’s the general logic of the algorithm for Auto Match Body?

1 Like

Seems that material grain aligns with the y axis.

Try creating your model so that it also aligns the same way.

You will be able to rotate it later with the option to change the grain direction by checking/unchecking the ‘auto match to body’ check box.

The model at the bottom left was created on the y axis then copy/rotated 90deg then 45deg.
Notice that it is easy to change the grain direction on all three versions.

The model at the bottom right was created on the x axis then copy/rotated 90deg then 45deg.
Notice that the grain direction is not easily changed.

The take away here is… it helps to create your model so that your intended grain direction runs along the y axis.

Hope this helps :slightly_smiling_face:

Helps a lot. Thanks! I can work with that with a little planning. The toggle “Auto Match to Body” seems poorly named - works more like “Align Material with Y-Axis” :slight_smile: Having direct controls to Rotate, Move and Scale the material - including user supplied - is the real answer.

1 Like

Agreed. The ability to scale/rotate textures and even apply custom textures/images is something I used a lot in SketchUp and sorely miss :slightly_frowning_face:

I’ve just tried the texture orientation feature in the new release. I can’t find commands for rotation and mirror functions. Please don’t tell me they have been left out. Please nooooo!!!