Mouse zoom (scroll wheel) is opposite to Sytem Preferences

Seems the mouse scrolling with the wheel is opposite to the System Preference. I personally hate ‘Natural Scrolling’ and have always had it turned off. Shapr3D is not honouring this behaviour so when using Shapr3D, I need to turn ‘Natural Scrolling’ on to have zooming work for me :frowning:

Anyone else notice this?

4 Likes

:raised_hand:same here

The mouse needs a setting in preferences to set the scroll direction, it should be completely independent of the Mac scrolling system settings.
Zooming in and out on a 3D model and scrolling on a webpage may use the same hardware interface but they are conceptually very dissimilar and preferring one has no relation to preferring the other. At this time having my zoom inverted makes using the program almost impossible.

@Istvan, is your team working on this?

1 Like

It’s on the roadmap. For now we optimised for the “natural scroll” setting, which covers the majority of macOS users, but we hear you.

The issue is that (at least in my brain) there is nothing related at all between moving a flat surface (webpage) up and down (scrolling) and moving forwards and backwards in a 3D environment.
My brain just isn’t equips to see those things as equivalent.
I am really glad to see that you are tracking this request though!

Of course. And you are right. It’s clearly a different mental model. We will have to fix it.

Thanks for the update and quick reply. I’ll be sure to keep an eye on this thread. Looking for the same issue. Bumped into your thread. Thanks for creating it.

Super Disappointed… Shapr3d looked like it might be a good replacement for me, coming from SolidWorks.

Literally half a days work from a competent iOS programmer to add a preference to toggle this. This was reported 6 months ago

I hit this after trying to use the software in the first minute, now I’m not even going to bother.

Sad

Hi @SamArtioli, we hear you. Will be fixed asap.

Ha! For me it’s the other way around. I love natural scrolling. The mindset is different. With natural scrolling I drag the content down or up, with “normal scrolling” I drag the scrollbar up and down. Fortunately, I use a “Logitech Master 3 for Mac”, and with its software I can set the scrolling behavior for each app individually. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey… just coming over to shapr3d from tinkerCAD… looks like this issue is stale, but the lack of a preference to change the scroll direction still seems to be the case. @Istvan is this still on a TODO list somewhere?

Can we PLEASE have this feature? It’s been a long time now…

@Istvan Hi! It’s been a year since this thread was started…

Hi @bpjohannessen , we are getting hundreds, sometimes thousands of feature requests from our hundreds of thousands of users every month. We are trying to deliver as quickly as possible, for example improving the desktop experience is a main focus area this year.

3 Likes

Add me to the list I hate Natural scrolling

Add me to the list of people disliking natural scrolling too.

As a developer and team lead, I don’t understand how this has not been fixed. I understand there could be a big backlog of stuff, but this is low hanging fruit. Adding an extra setting in the settings menu that multiplies by -1 the scroll value doesn’t seem like a big issue. Someone familiar with the code should be able to do this in minutes, and adding the translations shouldn’t be that hard.

From what I’ve seen, this is a problem in many modern software developer teams using Agile the wrong way. I had a developer in my team fixing an issue while it was brought up in the planning meeting. Product Owner, Scrum Master and testers complained that that wasn’t the process. If your “process” is not allowing you to fix stuff, you have to change it. He was the hero we needed, and I made sure the surrounding bureaucracy was done.

Come on. Someone on the team get a grip on this issue, put on your headphones, get on the zone and fix this! I believe in you!

Hi @olavgm , I understand that you don’t like the way how it’s done currently. It’s definitely something we should fix. We receive hundreds and often thousands of feature and improvement requests every month from our customers, and we are doing our best to implement as many of them as possible, as quickly as possible. We’ll fix scroll settings soon.

Sure, thanks.

By the way, how do you know that “natural scrolling covers the majority of macOS users”? I mean, natural scrolling in Shapr3D. Sure, you can have some analytics that tell you which percentage of users are using natural scrolling at an OS level but, as stated by others here, it’s different using natural scrolling for websites than using it for zooming in and out.

If you don’t have the option, how do you know it’s not the majority? Maybe you have a lot of frustrated users.

Thanks for taking the time to be active in Discourse.

In general we invest a lot in understanding our customer base. We have a total of 13 people working on qualitative and quantitative research, running usability tests regularly, interviewing customers and future customers, analysing our data, etc. I trust the insights gathered by those teams. And surely, we do have frustrated users as well, and we are working very hard every day to delight them as well.

That sounds great, a lot of people doing UX research!

Ok, I have a proposal for you. If the scroll to zoom direction discussed in this thread is fixed as a settings option or another reasonable way before the end of this month of May 2022 on (at least) the MacOS version, I’ll get a 1 year subscription (the $239 option) and I’ll send you the receipt as proof.

My name is Olav Gausaker.

Do we have a deal?