Mouse zoom (scroll wheel) is opposite to Sytem Preferences

Seems the mouse scrolling with the wheel is opposite to the System Preference. I personally hate ‘Natural Scrolling’ and have always had it turned off. Shapr3D is not honouring this behaviour so when using Shapr3D, I need to turn ‘Natural Scrolling’ on to have zooming work for me :frowning:

Anyone else notice this?

3 Likes

:raised_hand:same here

The mouse needs a setting in preferences to set the scroll direction, it should be completely independent of the Mac scrolling system settings.
Zooming in and out on a 3D model and scrolling on a webpage may use the same hardware interface but they are conceptually very dissimilar and preferring one has no relation to preferring the other. At this time having my zoom inverted makes using the program almost impossible.

@Istvan_CEO_Shapr3D, is your team working on this?

1 Like

It’s on the roadmap. For now we optimised for the “natural scroll” setting, which covers the majority of macOS users, but we hear you.

The issue is that (at least in my brain) there is nothing related at all between moving a flat surface (webpage) up and down (scrolling) and moving forwards and backwards in a 3D environment.
My brain just isn’t equips to see those things as equivalent.
I am really glad to see that you are tracking this request though!

Of course. And you are right. It’s clearly a different mental model. We will have to fix it.

Thanks for the update and quick reply. I’ll be sure to keep an eye on this thread. Looking for the same issue. Bumped into your thread. Thanks for creating it.

Super Disappointed… Shapr3d looked like it might be a good replacement for me, coming from SolidWorks.

Literally half a days work from a competent iOS programmer to add a preference to toggle this. This was reported 6 months ago

I hit this after trying to use the software in the first minute, now I’m not even going to bother.

Sad

Hi @SamArtioli, we hear you. Will be fixed asap.

Ha! For me it’s the other way around. I love natural scrolling. The mindset is different. With natural scrolling I drag the content down or up, with “normal scrolling” I drag the scrollbar up and down. Fortunately, I use a “Logitech Master 3 for Mac”, and with its software I can set the scrolling behavior for each app individually. :slight_smile: