Need help with a simple thing lol

I’m new of course, and older, so please be kind, I want to make a simple vacuum adapter that is 2.5" at the Bottom and like say 1.25 at the top, like a cylinder tube.

I viewed tutorials and figured out how to make a cylinder and extrude it, so I end up with a 2.5 inside diameter tube, but how do I add or change the top part to pleasingly taper down to the 1.25" ?

I seen a loft believe is what I want looks like i can make 2 separate pieces maybe then loft them together? I was watching his guy make a pail in a tutorial and he was able to split it and then loft the 2 pieces together that gave that different dimension that i think i need, but not sure how to tackle what I am sure is an easy thing to do for you guys… Thank you

Try this: Make a cylinder. Select the top of the cylinder and choose “Sketch”. Draw another circle to extrude another slightly smaller cylinder (for a slight step as is common for vacuum attachments) to extrude again… Then select the top of that cylindar and choose the “Scale” tool. Scale it to the desired taper. Select both bodies and union them together. Select the top and choose the “Shell” tool. That will make it a container. Inside the container , select the bottom and extrude outward to make it a tube.

1 Like

You might not have to use the union tool. Still on my first coffee. It’s early in the PNW.

The single most important thing to remember is most surfaces can become you next sketch point. Planes, planes are your next best friend for sketching.

ok I made this, how can i tell how thick the walls of the body are in Shapr? I wanted to export to an image to show you, but it says i have to upgrade to standard lol, but I did buy the standard plan so now sure what’s up with that, unless i am still in the Trial till tomorrow when ti charges me, but still it should allow me to do that…

what form do you need to see my file?

@mikenbrenda if you could upload a simple screenshot, that would be really helpful

If you still cannot access the Standard features in Shapr3D, please contact us at support@shapr3d.com from the email address you have started/purchased the trial, we are happy to help

Hi Mike, Just started using Shapr myself, the Shell tool should allow you to set the wall thickness (I’ve found that the sequence of the steps is the most important thing). I’ve tried various 3D apps (I’m a mature engineering student so get free versions of most CAD software, used to Autocad 2D but find the 3D too slow, but Shapr is quick to produce measurable output worth the app cost)

Man I really appreciate that answer so far nobody answered me and I’m like 61 years old I’m trying to figure this out I didn’t make it but then I wanted to check the thickness of the wall somehow

See if this is close to what you need, I used the revolve tool after I created the sketches, I made 2 boxes 1 was 1 1/2 and the 2ed box was 2 1/2 you can determine how high you need each end to make the connecting angle. You have 2 choices you can use for the wall thickness , you can use offset edges tool and adjust your wall thickness see the last screen shot. The 2ed way is to use the shell tool and adjust your wall thickness accordingly.

Hi Mike, you are only a few years ahead of me :wink:.
What I did was add a construction plane through the middle of my object, drew a rectangle, that split my object into two parts, hid one half of it on the layers, then used the line tool to draw a line where I wanted to check the dimension.

That of any use?

I like this idea, but how do i get the boxes centered to each other? then how do i connected them with that angle? I just can’t figure this out

White box = construction plane.
https://www.shapr3d.com/videotutorials/construction-plane-1
Then that’ll allow you to draw on that plane.
Alternatively looking down on top move the object so that one of the planes bisects the object then use that plane to draw the rectangle on.
Quick demo: Shapr3D Slice an object to get wall thickness - YouTube

Do you mind sowing me a step by step how to make a simple vac attachment with a 2.5" opening on one end and to fit a .125" on the other? this should be easy but apparently a few told me different ways t make it and i cam make one somehow but can’t get the right thicknesses… of the wall to maintain the 2.5" and 1.5" ends…you think this would be simple lol shapr3d_export_2021-08-10_12h16m.shapr (31.1 KB)