Need to move object to specific coordinate

Is this possible? If I simply want to to set a body to a specific location on the grid, say I’m in top view and want to move it to x=100,y=200. Everything seems to be ‘move relative’ which often not useful.

TIA

So I’m assuming this is impossible? Surely people must need this?

1 Like

There is a workaround. Make a dummy body at the destination location. Better yet, make a body where a corner is at the exact location you want the source body to move to… Use the Translate tool. Delete the dummy body.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions. It would be so nice to set the pop-up translate calculator thing so its absolute or relative coordinates. Without this its very difficult to use.

1 Like

A slight variant of Mike´s solution.
Translate tool´s destination point works also with points on sketch.
So if you create a sketch at the target Z (add new plane in offset mode related to top view), you can first select the point of the body you want to move at the desired coordinate and then make your sketch active in order to select the destination point’s X and Y coordinate, using the sketch’s grid as a reference. The Z coordinate will be the sketch’s one.

1 Like

thanks - helps a bit but still not great.

Perhaps you could show the x,y,z coordinates of the object as it is moved. Right now I have to create a DXF in another program, import it, and then use that. This is not an optimal solution, if I am trying to replicate an object in the real world

I assume you mean delta x,y,z since there is no absolute origin. That would definitely be useful.

@TheBum I am referring to the coordinates of the face I am working on. Right now I am trying to place 15 pins/holes on a hexagonal face. So to do this I have to draw a box that exactly encompasses the hexagonal face, then create a circle at the lower left hand corner, then move them to the position on the face using transform>move and enter the delta movement.

This is tedious and clunky, but also god help me if I need to adjust any of them later on in the project.

Or I have to create a dxf as I did before, with the same caveat.

I can’t even get a live x,y,z display when I move to have any idea where I am.

@JockM Instead of translating it, why don’t you just specify the distances between points/lines? You can always change it from there if needed.

1 Like

@SM1 That is a very good suggestion, thank you! I still would need to have a reference rectangle for non rectilinear shapes, which feels a little janky, but it is a good workaround.

1 Like

Always Refreshing Mike,

I believe one of your other posts was the first one that I ever gave us thumbs up to you. I like your work around. I come from the field where we have to take the stuff that is conceptualized and make it hit right. I often hear guys out there putting the stuff in refer to this as making a target. When we’re shooting equipment or lines in with a transit in a builders level we used bright white tape, a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood, and literally make a crosshairs, put in on the coordinate location and shoot through transit scope. At the time of install in another Nuclear facility, the we put targets all over the place on the generator body, concrete enclosure, and 45deg fittings for the hot and cold legs with a 15 man crew on mic’d up to the crane operator and that lift was ind the neighborhood of 7-8 hundred fifty thousand tons. Yet the methodology is the same. I wish I would have started learning this earlier.

1 Like