Needs mirror command and extend command in 2D

Hello Im not sure who to send this to but Shapr needs a few basic commands in 2D

Yes there is always a work around but providing 2D sketch tools are critical for fast design workflow

1 Like

Mirror already works in 2D.

What do you mean by “extend” command?

Thank you,
It isnt obvious as there isnt a mirror tool in sketch mode. Could be easier.
Will try again. Extend. Means when you draw a line, it would be nice to extend the line or make the line longer as opposed to add anouther line to an existing line. Auto cad lt and most 2d tools have an extend command as standard. I am very surprised that you do not even know what extend means. Standard stuff

1 Like

And…

You CAN extend lines rather than add to existing lines.

There are several options to do this…

Click on the line so the dimension box pops up and simply type in the new dimension.

You’ll notice that the line will extend in the direction it was drawn.

If you wish the line to extend the other way then simply lock the end you wish to constrain and it will force the line to extend in the opposite direction.

Select the node at the end to the line and simply drag the end of the line wherever you want to place it.

@Istvan, it’s a shame a dimension box doesn’t pop up at this stage :wink:

It would be great if a user couhttps://youtu.be/ySnIqIV0r8Uld simply click the end of the line they wish to extend and then be presented with the option to either type in a new overall dimension or type in a value that they wish to extend the line by. This would save the step of locking an end point to force the line to extend in the opposite direction and make it more intuitive

Ok. Will give it a go. Thanks for the support

1 Like

You’re welcome :slightly_smiling_face:

I just added the video too which I forgot to add to my last response.

Hello,

As I work with your program I am discovering a few things that are needed in addition to previous notes:

1 button to turn visibility of constraints on/off
2 button to turn visible dimensions on/off
3 button to turn grid on/off
4 method of permanently moving (lock) a rotational point to any point on a body. If you create an assy you can move the rotational point but you can only do this once see Ironcad for reference
5 fillet in 2D. ’
6 polar array
7 group objects instead of folders (as a designer one thinks in terms of folders, folders are for offices, you group objects or assemble them) i mentioned this already
Sometimes you dont want everything in a folder when you want to isolate an iteration but not all the others. Grouping works better
8 should be able to move orientation rotation point to any place in the workspace . The existing rotation point is restricted to the origin
9 should be able to twist orientation with two fingers

Scott Degelman

Hello,

As I work with your program I am discovering a few things that are needed in addition to previous notes:

1 button to turn visibility of constraints on/off
2 button to turn visible dimensions on/off
3 button to turn grid on/off
4 method of permanently moving (lock) a rotational point to any point on a body. If you create an assy you can move the rotational point but you can only do this once see Ironcad for reference
5 fillet in 2D. ’
6 polar array :white_check_mark:
7 group objects instead of folders (as a designer no thinks in terms of folders, folders are for offices, you group objects or assemble them) folder is very frustrating as opposed to quickly group items - you don’t want all objects in a folder when you want to isolate an iteration Grouping works better. You should be able to group and ungroup without a folder
8 should be able to move orientation rotation point to any place in the workspace . The existing rotation point is restricted to the origin
9 should be able to twist orientation with two
10. Ability to change the width of folder items window
11. Measure tool needed
12. The auto orientation icon is attached to every object has the existing ability to move to any place on the object. This is great but is there a way of hard pressing or other method to lock the orientation point to a new position on the object. You could now use this new point to quickly move from this starting point to an end point similar to translation tool. This would save time as the orientation icon is already displayed.
13. Could use a centroid point display to find centre of gravity of things

Hi,

Thanks for the detailed feedback! A few follow-up questions and comments.

• Which are the platforms you are using Shapr3D on? The UI elements behave slightly differently on every platform to adapt to the environment.
  • You can hide constraints that don’t relate to the selected sketches using the “constraint settings” menu on the top of that list.
  • What would your reason to hide all constraints, dimensions and the grid?
  • I am not sure I fully understand the difference between groups and folders in this use case, apart from the naming and iconography: both describe a hierarchy and a grouping. Could you help me understand what would work differently for you if we had groups instead of folders?
  • I also can’t entirely follow what you mean by the auto orientation icon and changing the point for that. Could you perhaps take a screenshot or a record short video and highlight the interesting parts?
  • On touch-enabled devices, you can twist the orientation with two fingers. You need to enable the feature in the views menu. It is disabled by default as it can view navigation more difficult and it’s a less frequent need. You can also use the small arrows that appear next to the orientation cube in 2D ortho views.
  • The center of rotation & zoom is not the origin, rather the geometry point closest to your pointer or fingers when you trigger the movement. Manually specifying it is on our roadmap, but a bit further out.
  • There is a small measure tool visible on the screen at all times. We are working on making it a separate, explicit tool with a bunch of more features right now, you can expect the first version in a month or so.
  • 2D fillets are coming soon.

One year later for 2d fillets isnt soon…its not hard request. But, a very important one…drawing a circle, aligning or snapping to, trimming…is NOT an option. I have been paying for this application for 2 years and I love it! BUT 2d sketch fillets should be at the top of the list!

1 Like

Understood – we absolutely understand how much of a productivity improvement 2D fillets can be. And also, I really should not be making promises I am not sure we can keep, sorry about that.

All I can say is that it’s still on our backlog pretty high up in the priority list, but I can’t give a precise delivery date I can commit to. Our goal is always to deliver improvements that benefit the largest number of users the most, and that requires hard decisions every day, and working on other things before 2D fillets was one of those hard decisions.