New Looking for help.... knife build, mutiple angles

Aloha,
I’m new to the CAD world and even newer to Shrpr3D. I’m trying to design a knife and I want to taper down the top of the spine to the point and then put a bevel on the blade. So far I’m not having any luck at all. I’ve tried utilizing mutiple plane extrusion, trim up the messy ends, Isolate the sections I want to bevel, tride to chamfer in two directions, and watched a few days worth of videos. Any help will be appreciated. Attached is the angle designs I’m trying to mimic but for a fixed blade design.

The main edge seems like you could use the sweep tool to cut the blank for the initial cutting edge. I think the sweep tool could cut the top edge too with a guide line in the same way as the main edge. Be interesting to try it. I might give it a go tomorrow. Have you searched for knife in the help and share categories? Found this Sweep Tool Possible Issue - Knife Blade

1 Like

Here is a way for the top, use the split body tool.
The bottom edge is, Oregoned suggested.

1 Like

:+1: remember when we didn’t have split body? Hard times… :joy:

The top edge usually/ often has a curve to it. I would try a sweep method. Maybe by duplicating the curve line rotated slightly from the knife’s point as a sweep guide, possibly as a new body and subtract? That is what I was thinking. … Thinking :crazy_face: Still imbibing coffee in the PNW.

2 Likes

I would draw two profiles and use the loft tool :grinning:

5 Likes

I made half of the blade and used the sweep tool. Then mirrored it.

5 Likes

yes, but nothing close to what I’m loking for. I’ve seen the Chamfer using the whole edge of the blade, I’ve done the extrude on the main bevel and belly that works out close, but can’t get it to stop at the line. and I’ve tried several diffrent shapes and rotating the degree, but unable to get the dual taper effect I want.

That was amazing!! Thank you that’s exactly it!!

1 Like