New user choosing between 11" or 12.9" iPad Pro

Hi

I’m planning to step up from Tinkercad, and Shapr3d looks very tempting. I’m still very new with 3d design, and I’ve been 3d printing for a little year - currently own 2 prusa and one anycubic.

However my firtst gen iPad Pro (9.7") feels so old and slow, so I’ve been wanting a new iPad for some time, and now I have a really good excuse to buy one :slight_smile: :wink:

I was pretty sure to go 12.9", but now when I have to order I can’t decide. I know the 12.9" is going to be more unhandy, but isn’t just something you get use to?

Is the 11" screen big enough for 3d design - I mean wouldn’t the 12.9 be far better with the bigger screen?

Hoping to hear from some 12.9" users :slight_smile:

Thanks for helping

1 Like

Hey @plex, welcome to the community. I would totally go with the 12.9’’. The larger screen helps a lot, and it’s not any less mobile than the smaller one. I believe that with the Magic Keyboard it can be a full replacement of your computer (depending of course on your needs).

3 Likes

Thanks for your comment - I went 12.9 :slightly_smiling_face:

Excited for shapr3d :wink:

2 Likes

I went with mini because it’s compact size.

For the ~11" form factor, I’d seriously consider the iPad Air 4. The only thing it really lacks vs. the current generation 11" iPad Pro is the 120Hz refresh rate; the processing power of the iPad Air 4 is greater. I have one and love it.

Yes - the iPad Air with the new A14 is powerfull, but the old A12Z is still a little more powerfull in multi core tasks. So in 11" form factor, I would grab the iPad Air as well :slight_smile:

Are you 50 or older? Wait for the 15.2"

If you can’t wait go for the 12.9"

You will be glad for the screen real estate especially when you have folder viewer open.

You should also take a look at Brydge iPad Pro keyboard.

This (Bluetooth) keyboard will expand your 12.9" in a way that functions like a full laptop (including Trackpad), while you still get the advantages of sketching in S3D with Apple Pencil. The keyboard facilitates using robust names for your Items in S3D, which greatly organizes and clarifies your designs. I bought one for my wifes 12.9 iPad and it is fantastic accessory to the 12.9" iPad line.

(FYI…no affiliation with the vendor)

2 Likes

Thanks for the tips

The keyboard looks very nice indeed.

I’m living in Europe, so I guess shipment is costly, but I’ll keep this keyboard in mind :+1:t2::slightly_smiling_face:

However the 12.9 is here now - I just need the Apple Pencil, before I can start shapr’ing :grinning:

2 Likes

The point of tablet is getting away from restrictions of PC’s and laptops

Yet people are looking for restrictions :keyboard: :upside_down_face:

Life is weird man :new_moon_with_face:

I think the Magic Keyboard makes the iPad even more versatile tbh. When I want a laptop, it makes it a laptop, when I want an iPad, I just use it as an iPad.

1 Like

I bought the Logitech Folio Touch. Even though it doesn’t support a “floating” screen, it has a trackpad as the MK does and function keys as the MK doesn’t, not to mention that it’s considerably less expensive.

1 Like