Non-uniform Scale - Again

I guess I’ll create yet another thread on this topic to try and find out why Shapr3D is avoiding this. In every other 3D program I use, this is basic functionality. If I have any shape more complex than a six sided rectangle, I’d need a non-uniform scale to change the proportions of the shape. I am designing artistic objects within the software, and scaling things in a non-uniform way is part of the design process. I have been able to get around some of the other software quirks and really am enjoying designing on the iPad Pro. But this lack of basic functionality might drive me back to designing on desktop software again.

There are threads on this topic going back several years. What say you Shapr3D? Why has this not been implemented?

7 Likes

@Kapor_Shapr3D Hi Kapor, is this on your team’s radar at all any more? I can’t imagine it would be that hard to implement and wouldn’t take away from anything else in the software. It would be great if you could scale to set either a percentage scale in the selected direction, or set a finished dimension size in that scaled direction. Anything would be useful though. This isn’t some pie in the sky feature request either, it should be basic functionality. Sorry if I sounded frustrated above, but I am ready to cancel my subscription and go back to desktop designing. :frowning:

1 Like

Hi, I apologize for the delayed response.

We have noted your feedback and at the moment it’s not one of the features we want to implement immediately. We have some complex features we are working on now, taking up resources.

However, we keep improving the app very rapidly, and based on user’s feedback we might implement this sometime soon in the future.

2 Likes

Yep, the lack of non uniform scaling is indeed a deal breaker.
This alone pretty much renders the app useless imho (more on this below).
Another (less devastating) issue is not being able to separate tangents (bezier handles) when sketching, oh … and why no two finger undo ? (like a normal app).
Very easy to invoke loads of could not do this or heal that messages, but I suppose this is the nature of the beast, a bit of work is required to understand the limitations of the underlying engine.
At the end of the day the lack of non uniform scaling means you will have to keep things “quadratisch praktisch gut“ (with no chamfering or other “fancy” stuff) untill the proportions are in place (it is generally only possible to predictably adjust / stretch proportions with simple objects w flat faces ) this imho is a boring and not very creative way of working since it more or less means working only from preplanned drawings / dimentions. A non uniform scaling option would actually loosen things up alot, and provide a much more flexible workflow, enabling you to adjust and tweak things to fit together … imho much needed given the linear nature of the beast.

4 Likes

I just upgraded to pro, but without this functionality the program significantly limited. I also may need to go back to the desktop version.

I don’t understand why this basic functionality is not a priority.

1 Like

This is a core function now missing for 5 years. It does not seem acceptable Shapr3d be without this very fundamental function in such a robust 3D modeling application. Variable scaling in 3 dimensions is central to anyone that does 3D print / milling / or fabrication etc.

It leads users to “use” other applications to do this kind of form manipulation.

Please escalate this function to a more noble priority.

5 Likes

OK. Will do. Seriously.

5 Likes

Any updates on this?

I desperately need this function. The ability to scale on one axis or two axis. My renewal date is coming up, and I’m considering not renewing because of this…but I LOVE Shapr3D (except for the price).

Several other people have asked for this function. Even SketchUp has this function. Their Scale function allows uniform and non-uniform scaling in pretty much any direction. I am having to export models, scale in other apps, and reimport.

Is this actually being worked on? It’s been six months since the last response. Thank you.

3 Likes

Come on Istvan. We are eagerly waiting!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

On it. :v::v::v:

4 Likes

REALLY?? That would be FREAKIN’ AWESOME!! I need this function so badly! :heart_eyes: (And my renewal date is coming up…I did keep the subscription last time, but I can’t stress how important this feature is!)

3 Likes

The gauntlet has been thrown. I just downloaded SketchUp on the iPad today. As a SketchUp trainer who prefers Shapr3D, I might note that SketchUp iPad DOES have non-uniform scaling; it’s the first thing I checked after downloading the app.

So far, I might say that SketchUp is missing the keyboard shortcuts that make it very efficient, and feature like the shell function in Shapr3D make it much better for the type of 3D design/print that I do. I think the new SketchUp is inelegant when compared to Shapr3D. I’m not convinced enough to purchase a subscription in SketchUp.

I am desperate for non-uniform scale. Here are my questions:

• Has development actually started on this issue or is this something they’re just thinking about?
  • Is there someone assigned to this issue?
  • Is there an ETA?

Not trying to be a pain, but trying to patiently wait and feeling discouraged. I love what you guys have created.

• Has development actually started on this issue or is this something they’re just thinking about?
  • Is there someone assigned to this issue?
  • Is there an ETA?

Yes, we already have a prototype. The release date is unclear yet, but no more than a few months.

5 Likes

this is fantastic news!

3 Likes

Hi @CurlyBee , SketchUp is a fantastic tool, and we are very excited to welcome them on iPad, and it’s so great to see the ecosystem evolving! However we don’t think Shapr3D and SketchUp are comparable. While there might be some overlap in our use cases, Shapr3D is a real CAD system, with Parasolid based solid modeling capabilities, creating watertight, manufacturable, high quality models, while SketchUp is a mesh modeler, which is great for certain use cases, but less ideal for manufacturing due to its inaccuracy.
Regarding the non-uniform scaling functionality, it’s indeed a functional gap in Shapr3D that we’d like to address asap. As @Koko_Shapr3D mentioned, we are already working on it, and we plan to ship it in the foreseeable future.

2 Likes

I have been able to create accurate models for printing with SketchUp, but it does have a huge customer base that could definitely benefit from the features of Shapr3D. I came to ZBrush by way of SketchUp because I wanted to 3D print jewelry designs on my Formlabs printer, but the advantage was accurate sizing of things like rings.

Huge fan here (of Shapr3D), great news on the non-uniform scaling! :heart:

Sure, certainly in several use cases SketchUp’s accuracy is good enough! But for manufacturing, particularly for metal CNC milling, or injection molding, etc. a real CAD engine’s accuracy is necessary.

3 Likes

Hey all,

So non-uniform scale has arrived with 5.180. Make sure your app is updated to at least this version, and also if you can, let us know how you like it, whether or not it helps solving your tasks.

All the best

2 Likes