Offset Edge to Auto Constraint (or the option to add it parametrically)

Please follow the format below for requesting a feature.

The problem that this feature will solve:

It’ll allow the change of an object parametrically without all the extra work of manually adding constraints to every edge.

Brief description of the outcomes that you expect from this feature:

I often use the Offset Edge tool to create borders. Let’s say the border is a simple rectangle. I’d like to be able to edit the dimensions of the original rectangle, have the offsetted edge automatically adjust to fit and so have the created object follow suit.

Adding all the constraints manually is a pain and might as well be done through direct modelling.

What can’t you achieve without this feature?

I can’t automatically adjust certain objects parametrically without a lot of additional work. It’s easier to do it by direct modelling.

Is this a workflow blocker for you? Is this why you can’t use Shapr3D for work? Is this slowing you down?

It was disappointing to realise that parametric modelling is worse in this instance. It’s not a workflow blocker but it adds to finicky modelling where you’re doing one thing one way and then switching workflow for the sake of doing something else very similar.

I requested and inquired about this with @Istvan previously, he said this is coming in the next update I believe. They’re instituting a lot of changes with sketching now that the paradigm has shifted from bodies to sketches.

1 Like

Ah thanks mate, I must have missed that conversation/request.

It was killing me today trying to make ribs in a part. Offset, sketch a construction line, draw another, hit parallel, BOOM 3 other lines move haha

It’s coming later this year.

1 Like