Part association/constraint alignment feature.

Please follow the format below for requesting a feature.

The problem that this feature will solve:
When trying to model interacting parts.
Consider adding screenshots and as many details as possible, to help the Shapr3D team and the community understand why you need this feature. Describing your workflow helps us building the right feature.

Brief description of the outcomes that you expect from this feature:
Most CAD programs can allow you to set what shapr calls alignment features but lock them in and have the parts interact in a certain way. This is especially helpful for modeling things as simple as a swing joint hinge to make sure you get your lengths correct to allow for the proper movement, start, and end position.

Currently you have set alignment. There is no ability to move objects in relation to one another so you have to re-position every part individually and have no full scope of movement in relation to other parts. This makes it very difficult to design and engineer for real world applications beyond a singular pivot point of a single object or sub-assembly.

Eg. “this feature should allow me to edit and create constrained assemblies with 100 000+ parts” or “using this feature I should be able to create G2 continuous lofts and manipulate the shape real time” or “with this feature I want to be able to quickly find a part in my designs by searching for its name”.
Understanding the outcomes that you expect from this feature helps us more than describing an actual implementation of the feature that you’d expect.

What can’t you achieve without this feature?

Even modeling simple joints/hinges that aren’t constrained by a singular pivot that can be viewed. Where multiple parts move in relation to one another, ie. a simple 4 link system, or modern door hinges that can swing out as well as around.

Is this a workflow blocker for you? Is this why you can’t use Shapr3D for work? Is this slowing you down?

Yes, this adds hours into moving individual parts in relation to one another, calculating angles, distances, then notating all of them separately, in order, and having to reference them to move them back step by step. If a part is modified, ie. a hinge point, repeat the process again and again. And still can’t see possible interference by doing this from a start/stop position.

What you’re describing is a Component feature, where multiple items can be grouped together as components with the geometry between them being relative to the bodies instead of the whole project. The developers have stated that this is on the roadmap.

Maybe I’m a bit confused on your description. I just want to be able to model a multi part assembly and have certain hinge points or alignments be “locked” in place so I can move those parts to get an idea on whether a mechanism will work before 3d printing it and assembling a prototype.

If that’s what you meant and said the devs are working on it i’d love to get a timeframe update as this seems like it would be one of the more useful features that larger CAD programs have that is lacking in Shapr.