Perpetual License

Hi,

is there any future plan for perpetual license? I have subscribed for the annual plan, but i only used during small project. I don’t see much value on trying to renew if i’m only doing 5 to six project a year. please seriously consider a perpetual license. thanks

2 Likes

I hope Shapr3d offer a one-time payment option? (without a subscription)
Even the price is $1000, I will still buy it, as a student.

If you’re a student, you can get the student license for free…!

2 Likes

Thank you.

I am in Senior high school, so I am not sure my request to use educational will be approve each year by shapr3d. Or will they?

Well, are you planning for college? If so, then it will continue.

1 Like

I would prefer a one time purchase. I get it, residual income from multiple people is a more lucrative business model but just not one for may people. Most Businesses sadly follow this trend.

I am also willing to spent a higher amount one time rather than sub. I don’t like rent, lease or borrow.

@admins You should really consider a one time option!

Hi @jomant , I understand that our pricing model does not work for your use case. We try to make Shapr3D as accessible as possible, but unfortunately a one time payment option would quickly lead to bankruptcy. The subscription enables us have a lower entry price point and to keep delivering new features every 2 weeks.

Shapr3D is one of the cheapest options on the marked.

The ones that are cheaper or free have either less features/fewer innovations/updates
or have an insanely high price for pro users and a large enough pool of paying customers to counter the ones who are getting it for free(without being a student) or cheap.
One time purchase option is just not feasible in this marked

Sketchup is now available on Ipad Btw.
The experience is inferior to shapr3d in my opinion…
But they do have a cheeper option than shapr3d, and it starts at 119usd a year.
But then again they charge 2x the price of shapr3d for their top tier option.
I’m also guessing sketchup has a bigger pool of paying customers?

Another option is Onshape. They have a free option, but all your designs will be open for anyone to see.
Their paying price is 5x-8x the price of shapr3d.

Fusion 360 doesn’t have a ipad option yet and it’s 2x the price of shapr3d.
They do have a free for personal use option with limited features. But again the pro’s and pool of paying users are paying for that. Fusion 360 is also made by autodesk. Autocad from autodesk is again 10x the price of Shapr3d.

Personally I don’t want the Pro price of shapr3d to go up to support a cheaper option. They tried, but I’m glad they reversed it to the price they have today. I like using all the pro features and 239 a year is ok for me. (Even though I don’t make money off it or have a high paying sallary)

If they could offer a STL export only option for 10usd a month, sure. But not if that means they would have to raise the prices for the rest of us who want the other features and exports.

Shapr3d 140? employees need their competitive IT salary, office space and equipment. And their investors and owners would want to see their investment being a good one.

3 Likes

Far too expensive, when there are free options which have a true assembly module, where joints / mates remain connected when you move a part, i know you keep promising this feature and when you do i would consider paying, even though i do think it is too expensive, you cant use it commercially as an Engineering CAD system ( i work in Aerospace, F1 and automotive industries, using CATIA V6, Siemens NX, Solid Works, Solid Edge, for over 35 years, qualified Instructor, application engineer, Design Engineer), and i would seriously consider using it, if it had mated connections , joints whatever you want to call them, to be able to do kinematics, which i know you can do with sketches, but name any 3D CAD system that does not have a proper assembly module (apart from Shapr3D).
i use onshape and Fusion 360 at home which are both free and are excellent, but i prefer shapr3D’s direct modelling workflow which the big CAD companies are starting to include, but the ability to use it on an iPad is a game changer(yes onshape works on iPad but it is awkward), well it would be if you could synchronise the designs between the iPad and a pc or mac, again cant believe you dont have this function, as well as the complicated method of inserting other parts into an “assembly” in shapr3D
Dont get me wrong i think its a wonderful product which is 95% perfect, But
Too expensive for hobbyists (Fusion offers free version for Hobbyists)
Cant sync between Ipad & PC / MAC
No assembly mates / joints

With out history based modelling, i find it hard to see a commercial use for this, i know i am old fashioned and used to working with sketch driven parameters, and i know its a different mindset.
ie when you modify a sketch the extrusion or whatever does not update to match the sketch.
Which is why i think its ideal for hobbyists (who can afford it).

Hi Paul,

Shapr3D automatically syncs your data across your devices unless you turned it off.

i have not turned it off, not used Shapr3D for a few years, but had a new project which knew it would be good for, as its not engineering its
modelling a prop gun for someone, and i can import a mesh and trace over it.
Works so much better than Fusion and onshape, but when i open Shapr3D on my ipad i dont see the file i worked on with my PC or MAC, none of them are synced
How do i check if its turned off ?

Thanks
any news on assembly mates ?

Here is how: https://support.shapr3d.com/hc/en-us/articles/7873833167132-Shapr3D-Sync

Assemblies are on our roadmap, but it won’t be available earlier than next year.

Adding an anecdotal…

I pay for perpetual licenses for VMWare Workstation, MS Office, Camtasia, Snaggit, some Software IDEs, and a couple of others. The re-buy upgrade cycle is normally about every 2 years. This is normally driven by some O/S or other technical issue that where I can decide to upgrade for a specific reason. With all of those products, I go through periods where I don’t use them but still want them available.

Personally, I’d rather just pay $300 or whatever for a locked version with no updates rather than a running subscription. Maybe it is really difficult to do this technically with a mobile app because of the store update process. The products I mentioned all support more than one major version at a time in their patch cycles.

Can I just pay for shpr3d in the months I use it like by disabling auto-pay? I’m guessing it would be may be 6 months per year of payments that way.

Hi,

You can disable auto renewal anytime, so it’s possible to subscribe for a few months / year.

I would also like to point out that the software you mentioned are very mature ones, and their updates usually don’t contain that much changes either. Their release cycle is very long too, usually multiple years. With Shapr3D, you get updates every 2 weeks, often bringing major changes / updates.

1 Like

If you make it a perpetual license this will become the most used CAD software.