Precision Placement of Objects

What’s the best way for me to find the center of an object and move an element to that center? Or for me to find/define a specific dimension to place an element?

I’m having trouble figuring out how to precisely place shapes within my designs. For example, let’s say I’m trying to design an iPhone case and want to create a hole for where the headphone jack is.

This hole should be x from the edge of the case and should be centered within the height of the case.

I hope my question makes sense… THANK YOU! - Paul

When you create sketches, you can add distance constraints for edges and points. Eg. select the center point of the circle, and and edge, then simply set the distance between them by selecting the label with the Pencil.

Thank you Istvan…

What if I wanted to have that circle be 5mm from the top edge of an object and centered between the left and right sides, please? (We can say my object is 20mm wide and the circle is 5mm) - pw

5mm from the top can be set as I described before. The equal distance is a bit more tricky (unless you want to set it with exact distances, but I suppose that’s not what you want), you can draw two lines from the two sides to the center of the circle, and apply and “equal” constraint on them. Let me know if this helped, or if you need further explanation.

1 Like

I’ll practice more, thank you for your quick reply Istvan!

1 Like

Would it work to sketch the circle so that it’s diameter is the same as the width of the case side, align them, lock the centre of the circle, then change the radius of the circle and group them?