Projecting Faces to Sketch for DXF Export

I’m coming to Shapr3d from Fusion 360. I like a lot of what I see and the pricing is more reasonable for a hobbyist like me.

I’m trying to figure out how to project faces to a sketch and export them as a DXF. This is for laser cutting. So for reference here’s my Fusion workflow:

1. Design item using individual bodies that are the same thickness as my cutting material.

2. Make copies of all those bodies and may them flat on the X plane.

3. Create a new sketch. Project those bodies into the sketch.

4. Export that sketch as a DXF.

From there I can import that DXF into Lightburn and cut the bodies out of my material. How would I accomplish this in Shapr3D?

For laser cutting, I’ve found one must use the top view when creating DXF files for lasering. To project something onto that plane, I sometimes Add a plane to that top view, at zero offset from the origin. I use Tools, Project onto that plane. Then export it as a Sketch, not a Drawing. Turn off any other features and export as DXF. This should work great for lasering. McD

1 Like

I agree that Project needs work. There are many times I’d like to project body edges onto a sketch and I’ve found no way to do that in Shapr3D, at least not recently.