Projections changes in the Parametric Modeling release?

Prior to the Parametric Modeling release, the projection feature was extremely versatile: you could project parts of one sketch onto another, faces/edges of bodies onto sketches, edges of bodies onto other bodies, etc. Since that update, there are at least two scenarios that no longer function as before.

#1 — Projecting a sketch onto a sketch
If you take any aspect of one sketch—it could be a single line, a shape, anything—and project it onto an another existing sketch, Shapr will create a third sketch:

Prior to the release of Parametric Modeling, the sketch that was the target of the projection would receive and retain that new content; not create another sketch.

#2 — Projecting parts of a body onto a sketch
If you take an edge or face of a body and project onto an existing sketch, that target sketch will no longer receive that projection. Like above, a new sketch will be created:

Fortunately, projections from sketches to bodies (as edges) still work, as does projections between bodies (as edges).

The two scenarios above are used daily in my work. My projects are often extremely large—hundreds, if not thousands of bodies and sketches—so this approach gave me great flexibility to add reference lines of other sketches/bodies into existing sketches. I’d often convert those into “Construction Lines” so I can measure and/or build upon those for a particular piece I’m modeling within my large project.

I’m hoping this isn’t an impact from the new Parametric Modeling update. If so, we’re technically no longer “projecting” onto items in the two scenarios above. If this is not defect, does anyone have recommendations how to bring in edges and faces into existing sketches?

Both works, you just need to initiate the project tool from sketch mode.

Thanks or the reply, @Istvan! I truly appreciate your help, but I don’t fully understand “sketch mode” in this specific context:

…you just need to initiate the project tool from sketch mode

If I’m actively within a sketch (i.e. I can see the line, arc, spline, etc. options), I can’t project onto a different sketch. In fact, the other sketch disappears from the item list:

In sketch mode

Unless you mean to ensure “Edges” are not selected as an option when projecting overall. In the two scenarios from my original post, “Sketches” were selected:

1. Select the sketch into which you would like to project another element
  2. Select the Project tool under the sketch menu
  3. Select the elements youd’d like to project

Since now you can have multiple sketcches on a single plane (which was one of the top feature requests), this is how you can tell Shapr3D to add the projection to a particular sketch.

1 Like

Thanks again for your help!

The steps you described above are exactly the steps I took in my original post. Here is a GIF showing a third sketch created:

Project sketch onto sketch

This comment below is interesting though:

Since now you can have multiple sketcches on a single plane

The projection feature seems to be projecting onto the invisible plane of my target sketch; not the sketch itself.

:thinking: This might be a defect if you’re saying it still should project directly onto an existing sketch…

Matt,

You are selecting a Face, not the sketch itself. Try selecting the sketch from the Items list. You will notice the the Projection tool now is labeled with “Sketch”

You are selecting a Face , not the sketch itself. Try selecting the sketch from the Items list. You will notice the the Projection tool now is labeled with “Sketch”

Hi @Steve! When selecting the sketch itself via the item list, I get the same issue as described in my first reply, above. A projection option appears; however, the other sketch I’d like to target disappears from the item list.

Select the Target sketch first, then the Project tool, then the items you want to project.

@Steve you’re not able to reproduce this issue with the latest version?

Selecting whole sketches aside, I’d very much like/need to select parts of a given sketch to project; not the whole thing. This feature was available prior the latest release.

Not sure I understand the problem.

First you select the target sketch PLANE.
Then, tell Shapr you want to project stuff to that PLANE.
Then, pick and choose what you want to project.

What am I missing?

Not a problem. You can individually select whatever you want, including edges of bodies, etc.

I suspect you are not performing the correct order of actions (muscle memory can be annoying :roll_eyes:) As long as you select your desired Target sketch plane first, then let Shapr know what you want to do (i.e. project sketches), then you should have complete flexibility on how much or how little you want to project.

I suspect you are not performing the correct order of actions (muscle memory can be annoying :roll_eyes:)

:bulb: This was the lightbulb moment — thanks @Steve!

Up to this point, I didn’t think the new update changed this flow. But the moment you said “muscle memory,” it was clear things were different.

I love Shapr, and I’m sure I’ll eventually get the hang of things in the Parametric Model world, but boy oh boy has this update been a big one…

FYI, on the iPad Pro, I tend to select the source sketch (or face) then the destination plane (or face) then I select Project. I use the same method with Replace Face.

3 Likes

You are more than welcome. I love solving problems, because I usually discover something new along the way.

In fact, I think you helped me discover, if not a bug, at least a quirk. I did some more exploring with an older drawing that was created before the history release. In hindsight, it makes perfect sense, but was pretty confusing until I figured it out.

If you select a Target sketch plane that was created pre-update and try to “Project Sketches”, then all other sketch planes “disappear” and you cannot project from them. I guess this is a holdover from the past when only one sketch plane could exist for given spatial plane.

Newly created (post-update) sketch planes work fine and you can project from any of the “original” sketch planes, so, if need be, you can recreate a new, modern format sketch plane with any desired sketch elements.

2 Likes