Reeeeealy large file loading issues

I’ve sent off a support request but I’ll ask here as well.

I have a rather large STL file(60MB) of an architectural drawing of a house (and the large plot of land it sits on).

The file will not load, it just tries and then stops. The icons in the top left do no load. So I can’t get back to my designs and am forced to force-close the app.

I am trying to edit the app to get rid of the insanely large plane it sits on but seems that I hit a limit within Shapr3D, which then breaks the software.

I’m working with my client to try and reduce the size of the file and drawing, but thought I would ask here as well.

Any suggestions, outside of what I’ve already done, would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

Without the file it’s hard to tell the exact issue. Meshes can be really problematic to begin with, it often happens that they aren’t closed, one sided, and so on. During import, we try to repair them as much as possible, but sometime it’s just isn’t. So it might not be the file size, but the data in it.

The capabilities of the devices also play an important part. A stronger device, with more memory might be able to open the file.

Support will try to help you, they are great! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello @DragonDon, we have received the file! I have to say it is a nicely detailed model that took a few seconds to open on an M1 mbp with 16 GB of RAM. It can happen that the device you are using (an iPad based on the screen record you’ve sent us) lacks the necessary performance to deal with large files. Please note that the iPad is a pretty well-optimized device, but it may not compete with a CAD workstation in regards to performance.
On the other hand, Shapr3D is a CAD software. We can import mesh files, but they - especially STL files - tend to have several issues from intersecting or flipped polygons to tiny gaps that as Laci said we try to repair which takes time and needs performance.

Let me share an article with you about the available toolset for mesh models, I hope it helps. Please always make sure to have closed, solid meshes instead of open mesh surfaces.

3 Likes