Resizing sketch after extrusion

Hi,

I created a model in which I have a series of holes going through a block. I’m trying to change the diameter of the holes after they have been extruded but I can’t go back to the screen in which I can modify sketch dimensions.
How can I change dimension of a sketch after it has been used to make an extrusion?

Thanks!

Hi,

just select the circle and by tapping on the dimension, you will be able to change the radius.

Image-1 (1)

Please note that your hole won’t change, sketches and bodies are not connected in the app. You have to select the face of the hole and extrude it to change the diameter of the hole.

Hope this helped

Perhaps what I’m having trouble is with selecting the circle itself. When I touch the top edge of the hole with Apple pencil, the edge turns blue but neither the dimension shows up nor does the Edit sketches menu.

In the screenshot you sent, did you create the hole first and then select the top edge?

Thanks!

Thanks. I managed to get into Edit sketches mode by selecting a different sketch first.

I am curious why the body is not bound to the sketch? It seems like unless they are bound they will get out of sync which is probably a bad idea?

It’s mainly because we are a direct modeling app, meaning that all your bodies, sketches are sort-of independent of each other. It makes your life easier in a way, as in parametric modeling (which I think you’d like to see) features, shapes are built on top of each other, which make them hard to edit, when the model gets complex.

It doesn’t mean, we won’t go this way one day, we might, but currently, direct modeling just makes modeling rapid and much more flexible.

1 Like

Constraining sketches without the parametric functionality was suprising for me after having used 3D systems for the last 20 Years. Have just installed Shapr3D on my iPad so have not explored all possibilities but just a simple extrusion from a sketch seems impossible to edit without deleting the body, changing dimensions on the sketch and reextruding? After creating specific body dimensions the model will become distorted after direct face editing and the final dimensions unknown. Perhaps I have misunderstood so please help me on this one.

Hi Stuart,

I am not a professional CAD or 3D person but come from a long engineering career. So 3 view sketches in both US and Euro system are familiar. I first shared your sentiment but now that I have embraced the app I no longer am sketch-oriented. Or sketch to 3D design thinking…

Basically the tools increase in power as you move from lines to sketches to shapes. You should work in 3D ASAP in a design. Amazing power and ability for creativity. With experience, you will find that you can do designs very quickly. So much, that you don’t feel the sunk investment in work and can scrap it and start over if you like. I have always been able to get dimensions from the shapes albeit you have to select details for this. Because I would either 3D Print a design or CNC it, I don’t need external dimensions. If you need highly dimensioned 3D drawings, better to use a CAD program.

There are many good video examples and these mostly are conceptual in nature. For example, there is currently a series on an electric motor. But this could have been done using tolerances, etc. And more detailed internals like the rotor, stator and brushes could be developed.

Hope this contributes to a discussion.

Best,

Tommy

1 Like

That’s one option, but a much better option is to use direct editing tools (push pull, transforming faces, etc) to edit your geometry.

Can you elaborate a bit on this?

Let’s assume I need to model a table with 4 legs.
I draw a sketch for the tabletop and constrain it and extrude it to 18 mm thick. I realise after that the top is too short for 4 people so I drag the respective edge out to make it longer. It looks good but afterwards need to check the new length. The underlying sketch is not connected and therefor not correct. So how do I know the new length?

In the bottom of the screen there is the “Selection info” panel:

I started working in the printing industry in the early 1970’s just as computers were starting to disrupt the typesetting work flow. At that time people with a lot of experience were telling me that computers would never replace typesetting skills that had been in existence for hundreds of years. After a five year apprenticeship I put away my typesetting equipment never to use or see it again. Desk top publishing had arrived and I would have been unemployable had I not had the luck to meet a few switched on design lecturers at the London College of Printing, who would show me the importance of looking at design properly and the need for change.

I have been using well known cad systems for the last 25-30 years. This new iPad based software isn’t as developed as the desk top equipment, and no it can’t map textures which will bring the picture to life yet. It’s easy to say it can’t do this or that, and I agree, but it will happen.

Now all these years later my wife and I run our own business designing and installing domestic gardens. I handle the design and hard landscaping and my wife designs planting schemes and covers maintenance. We have never been busier even though we have not advertised our business for over 7 years. All of our work comes from recommendations from existing clients.

Today I took my iPad and pencil to a meeting with a new client and we discussed their requirements. I surveyed the area and sketched the garden in plan view. With the client looking over my shoulder I pulled the fences up as if by magic, then with 2 fingers on the screen moved this very simple drawing of the garden around to view it from different angles. Immediately the client was engaged. They wanted to see what the garden would look like if we moved the spa pool over here? Could the bbq go there? They were in buying mode instantly. I emailed them a few screen shots via their own WiFi, and I have the all the information I need to produce an estimate. Happy days!

As a teenager I was working in a dark dismal printing office wishing that I could be outside. 30 years ago I didn’t want to be tied to a desk top computer trying to remember what that important dimension was that I hadn’t written down properly during the survey. Last year I would work late into the evening to produce drawings to present to the client.

Today I was outside. The dimension I needed was right in front of me. The client was thrilled to see what the garden would look like and felt part of the project, and I am not working this evening instead I am using exactly the same software to design and produce 3D printed toys for my grandchildren. That for me is real progress.

Thank you for the opportunity to be part of this discussion.

Kind regards

Paul

7 Likes

Thanks tommyn for your insight. I agree there are different ways of constructing for achieving the final result.
I think my main issue is the ability to use the sketches to maintain relationships between features throughout the entire model simplifying the complex model. Parasolids permits this functionality it is just not implemented here.

Just click on the outside face of the cylinder and you can resize the diameter not the edge but the face