Revolve option

When creating a revolve in HBPM why is there not a option to create a “New body”, Union", “Subtract” or “Intersect” a existing body this seems like it should be there otherwise you have to create the revolve body then do a separate command to Subtract it from the existing body which adds more steps. Let me know what you think.

Thank you

1 Like

That’s a very fair question, but the same argument (“if there were an additional parameter for new/union/subtract/intersect, it’d result in one less history step achieved with fewer clicks”) could be made for every single tool that creates new geometry, not just Revolve, including Loft and Sweep, but maybe even Pattern. It’s a tradeoff everywhere: it adds to the complexity of those tools (on the UI and how easy it is to understand them) and makes the history somewhat harder to interpret (as you might not expect that boolean operation to happen), but it can indeed spare a few more clicks and make the history shorter.

For Extrude, we do have these options as such operations are very common. Other operations currently need a separate, explicit Boolean operation, as we didn’t see those combinations to be such frequent use cases. Is it something that you do frequently? What’s your use case for this?

I was mainly thinking of what I have familiar in the Parametric Cad software I have used for many that has the function of add material or remove material and just concerned of having to do extra steps to remove material from a existing body. I think it would be a good question to all of the Shapr3D users to see if they would prefer the option of new/union/subtract/intersect to all or most of the commands.

Thank you

Yes, indeed, it’s a feature typically available in other CAD apps. Digging a bit deeper into it, there will likely be ways to add these without becoming a distraction for those who don’t need it and they’re indeed used together quite frequently, so we’ll likely add them (I don’t have a timeline for that right now, though.)