Save and open files

Hey,

what is the benefit of „import“ and „export“ files instead of „save file“ and „open file“ as it is standard in most other software on the market? I think I don’t get it :slight_smile:
I have to admit that I miss this very simple method of organizing my files.

Are there plans to implement that way of saving files?

Cheers!

1 Like

In many programs/apps ‘Save’ saves your entire project along with workspace settings locally and in it’s native format.

However, "Export’ is usually reserved for exporting your completed design to a location outside of the program/app and offers many options including the ability to export in a different file format (and will not save your workspace settings).

1 Like

Somehow I missed this, I hope 6 months later it’s still a valuable answer! :slight_smile:

Shapr3D does not really have a “save” functionality, because all the changes are continuously written to a locally stored database, somewhere internally in the Shapr3D application. That means that you can’t lose data, even if the application crashes, you can continue where you where before. Thus “export” means that you are either converting Shapr3D’s internal representation to another format, and saving that file, or taking out Shapr3D’s internal representation from the Shapr3D application and save it somewhere else - but in the latter case the database is not managed by Shapr3D anymore. This is why it’s called export.
When you import a workspace to Shapr3D we don’t open that file, but we create a copy of it internally in Shapr3D, and store it somewhere in Shapr3D’s internal storage.

So basically exporting takes the internal data to the outside world, while importing external data takes it to Shapr3D’s internal storage.

5 Likes