Search function in design area

Please follow the format below for requesting a feature.

The problem that this feature will solve:

Easy to find designs

Consider adding screenshots and as many details as possible, to help the Shapr3D team and the community understand why you need this feature. Describing your workflow helps us building the right feature.

Brief description of the outcomes that you expect from this feature:

When in the Designs Screen, have a search bar to instantly select the design required by name. Enter part of design name and narrow down the search to similar design names.

Eg. “this feature should allow me to edit and create constrained assemblies with 100 000+ parts” or “using this feature I should be able to create G2 continuous lofts and manipulate the shape real time” or “with this feature I want to be able to quickly find a part in my designs by searching for its name”.
Understanding the outcomes that you expect from this feature helps us more than describing an actual implementation of the feature that you’d expect.

What can’t you achieve without this feature?

It can take a long time to scroll through many designs to find the one I require. When the design is opened, I am immediately taken back to the top of the screen to have to scroll back down through many designs. This takes a lot of time and can be frustrating to other members of my team.

Is this a workflow blocker for you? Is this why you can’t use Shapr3D for work? Is this slowing you down?
This does slow the workflow considerably.

4 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion! We are working on a large overhaul of the entire app dashboard, including the Designs page, and we plan to add search functionality to it as part of that. So stay tuned – it’ll come soon!

7 Likes

Awesome news. I’m constantly impressed with how attentive the Shapr3d team are!

Hi Peter. I had asked the same question as well as having folders for organization in the design area. It was mentioned that it would be first quarter if possible so I’m wondering if you have an idea of when this is going to be released. I am really struggling without search and organization.

See my answer in the other thread – we are working on it as we speak!

If it is possible, open an API to chatGPT so that I can ask questions aginst manual and get pretty accurate results without too much effort.

Hi Peter, I see that another release happened without the search function or the organizational folders. Do you have an ETA when they’re going to be released? I’m pulling my hair out.

Please hold out for just a little while longer :slight_smile: We are in the final stretch. We have new releases at least every other week, each containing a number of smaller and bigger features, but those don’t come at the cost of folders, we simply have several teams that work on separate things in parallel.

2 Likes

I totally get that folders are a whole design problem, but the lack of basic title search is a huge pain point. I have actually given up and redesigned parts on more than one occasion because finding anything more than a few weeks old in my design panel is just intractable. If the search were literally just “filter the view by case insensitive substring match on the name”, that would be a massive improvement.