Combine designs in a folder?

Is there a way to create a Folder to organize designs within the design folder? Starts to get messy having so many different designs….???

Not yet, but the devs say it’s on the roadmap.

2 Likes

I’ve read it’s been on the roadmap for 2 years. I want this and sync to other devices without the import export routine. I would switch full time to this if I got both of those and that’s leaving solidworks!

1 Like

Yes, this is certainly becoming a pain when you have hundreds of designs. Do you think that a simple search could solve the issue? Eg. you’d enter “awesome client” to a search field and then we’d display those designs inly that have “awesome client” in their names.

1 Like

Hi Istvan…loved watching the visualization show the other day!
On the organizing designs I think a search would be a stop gap but ultimately having folders would be easiest….I am referring to the iPad version. I have multiple designs that lets say share a common component I need printed…then with in the same folder I can store that base design and also have the other variations I have created all in one name place. The search would work but what if I don’t quite recall what I called the design…then we are back to scrolling though all the designs in hope of find the one we need.
I DO like how the thumbnails of the designs show I’m the orientation since the design was last accesses however that too could be an issue of what you are looking for is at an odd angle you you simply don’t recognize it by sight. The. You are left opening multiple designs, rotating them to see if it’s the one your looking for.
Hope this helps. I’m a low level Etsy business that designs and prints SimRacing parts but I seen some places for real basic improvement. Like still have the undo data and and ability to undo things I’m a design once you have left that design and opened another one. If you go back to the previous design the undo data is gone.
Temporarily I swap between Fusion360 and Shapr3D. I really prefer Shapr3D and the tough interface!!! Thank you!!

2 Likes

Yeah, that makes a ton of sense. Regular folders would raise a ton of questions, especially around touch interactions (let us be honest: it’s a massive pain in the neck to move around files in the Files app), and sync. Search would be pretty convenient, although it’d require some investment on the user’s side, to properly name all designs.

I’m really glad that you liked the Visualization event! Our marketing team did a fantastic job with it. I just can’t wait to the next one :slight_smile:

Why do you need to swap to Fusion? What’s missing for you in Shapr3D?

2 Likes

Right now the only real thing missing for me is TEXT on PATH…I assume it’s in the works. Just being able to create a quick Arc…right click text on path or whatever they call it.
Oh and a simple measure tool. The measurements are listed below when an object is selected but sometimes I just need the measurements between 2 poinst without having
to draw a line to find that measurement out. I could just be missing something but that is one function I used a lot in Fusion.

That and persistent undo is about it. That’s why I paid for a Shapr3D subscription and not Fusion. Fusion is great but just beyond what I need. That and the touch and Apple pencil make ALL the difference!!!

It’s great seeing someone your level answering actual emails :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Makes sense, and thanks for sharing! We are catching up quickly :slight_smile:

I wanted to reach out one more time and let you know despite not thinking I would use the new visualization feature. I was wrong and have already been using it…thanks again!

2 Likes

So great to hear that! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m loving the new sync feature, but having the ability to organize files into folders in the designs tab seems like a necessity… any idea when we can expect some organization features?

I agree that project folders would be useful however a stopgap solution might be tags. This method is in common usage in Apple world and most are familiar with it. In Shapr it might work best to have an editable list of tags that could be chosen from a drop down next to each design name rather than free form tag creation. A search box would also be required, but design naming discipline would not be needed.

1 Like

im really hoping you are joking? yes moving files around can be a bit tedious, but having to name files in specific ways just to search for something seems way more involved. All i see here is folders without folders while still keeping the overwhelming nature of a massive list still in tact. maybe create a way to offer both.

if you offered a way to auto format a file by having a form before you first save or when you open a new design that would help this search function idea

project name: project 1
version: 1.1
date and time: autofilled

translates to

1526_24_08_2022 _ project 1 - V1_1.shpr

other idea i have is a way to do both and with a form before opening a new model would help build this.

with folders you see them structured like so

project 1
        V1.shpr
project 2
        V1.shp
        V1.stl
        V2.shpr
        V2.stl
        V3.shpr
        V3.stl        
project 3
        V1.shpr
        V1.step
        V2.shpr
        V2.step

then in last time used order and being asked to search instead it would translate to this then then displayed in the order you last opened them

project 3 - V2.step
project 3 - V2.shpr
project 2 - V3.shpr
project 2 - V3.stl     
project 3 - V1.shpr
project 2 - V2.shpr
project 2 - V2.stl
project 3 - V1.step
project 2 - V1.shpr
project 2 - V1.stl
project 1 - V1.shpr  

This way you dont have to give up the search option without annoying alot of people who can move to another platform with the basic need for folders.

this can be scaled up with more " - " between hiearchy context in between.

Thanks for the feedback @Jermacalocas.

Can you help me understand, why would you need to store STL files alongside Shapr files in a folder structure?