Selecting Items Is Work

Incompletely. There are two issues: (1) unwanted deselection, and (2) Undo not restoring the selection. Undo Deselect partly solves the first issue: when I mistap off my model completely, if I notice right away, I can get my selection back. Thanks for adding this; it does help!

But it’s not sufficient, because there are other ways to lose your selection:

• Quickly tapping two edges or faces that are close together (or tapping a second time to deselect a mistaken item) often becomes a double-tap, which selects the entire body, destroying the selection of individual faces or edges.
  • Doing a small drag with the pencil instead of a tap, which sketches a line, killing the selection with no undo.
  • Holding down for a moment too long and entering lasso mode: some items selected via lasso cannot be individually deselected, so you have to start over.
  • Accidentally tapping a command button while intending to pan or rotate (see my previous post). Undo can’t help you after that because of problem (2).

Also, while helpful, Undo Deselect is broken. It doesn’t participate in the undo history, so it only works immediately after deselecting. If you don’t immediately realize you’ve deselected and proceed to tap the next thing, you can’t undo twice to get the original selection back.

So the feature is indeed sometimes helpful, but overall it’s a poor implementation of a half-measure. What we really need is for selecting to be treated as a primary workflow task, and for selections to be considered valuable work that should never be discarded irretrievably unless the user’s intent to do so is absolutely clear.

Thanks again for reading all of this. I hope it’s a useful perspective.

5 Likes