Shapr3D --> Unreal Engine 5

One more tip: have you tried MoI3D for OBJ export? I heard that it can generate really nice topology, better than most CAD systems.

1 Like

I looked into it but the fact that we start off with the site not being secure was disturbing.

There are many things I intuitively don’t like about it

— it feels unpolished
— it doesn’t have a list of meshes making large, complex objects difficult
— it feels aimed towards a very small market of hobbyists

All for the same price as Shapr3D or SketchUp.

Watching someone work with it on You-Tube it doesn’t appear to give us much of a time savings.

It also can produce models that are not watertight if the angles are shallow (how this was determined, I don’t know, I’m merely taking the word of people who own and use it). To me this is problematic. We already are producing non-watertight models :sweat_smile:

But thanks for the suggestion! It was worth looking into!

Makes sense, but you might want to try to import to MoI your Shapr3D designs, and export to obj from MoI.

1 Like

I’m trying to understand why I read about watertight and why that’s important to you…

Is it to do with that light leaking problem you mentioned in your other posts…?

Watertight geometry helps in a number of ways, not just with light leaking — for example, most models go to UV unwrapping and painting after they are modeled (and remodeled and remodeled). Bad geometry makes it difficult to unwrap cleanly. Painting makes a bad situation even worse — which part is seen and which is not seen? How does it impact the GPU? Does the art connect cleanly? What started out in grayscale may look awful once painted.

A watertight model can be easily UV cut and painted. It shouldn’t, in theory, have bad geometry.

The amount of human effort that goes into all of this is considerable. Sure, the bad geometry may not affect the GPU, but it CAN affect the unwrapping and the painting. As I have said, these are people intensive endeavors (everyone promises computer automated unwrapping… one of these days).

The less we have to worry about geometry, the more we can create in less time. That was the whole point of evaluating Shapr3D. It is faster at creating the kinds of assets we need, with fewer issues and at a lower cost.

Just like any other business, time is money.

1 Like