Sketches question

Hi, I have a sketch and a body. When I continue drawing (on the same face), sometimes a new sketch is created. Why? And is it possible to merge sketches into one?

Can you share a screenshot what exactly happens?

You probably hit the small plus button, that will create a copy of what you’re selecting.

I have no idea when and why a new sketch plane is created. And, can I merge them?

Yes, you can merge them .

Ok, I found this too, but are they really merged in the same plane, or just grouped in a directory?
Do you have an idea when a new plane is created?

1 Like

Hi Serge,

A new sketch plane is created each time you start a sketch anywhere on a plane or planar face where no sketch was placed before. If you select Sketch plane 03 in the items list, for example, you’ll see the sketch highlighted in the modeling space.

What Rohan showed was a good idea, but it was just moving the sketches into a folder for easier management, to merge the sketches, you should move the sketch elements to the same plane.

3 Likes

Hi Peter,

Often it is not clear when a new sketch plane is created (it happened to me more than once). It would be nice to see/receive a notification/message/warning when a new plane is created.

Serge

1 Like

Great Pascal!

Thank you.

Hi Serge,

Every time you start a sketch on a plane (Plane A for example) where no sketch was before, Shapr3D creates a sketch plane (Sketch plane 01). If you leave the sketch and start another one on a different plane (like on Plane B), a second sketch plane (Sketch plane 02) will be made.
As you jump back to the first plane (Plane A) for some more sketching, there will be no new sketch plane made, you’ll continue to work on Sketch plane 01.

I hope I could clarify :slight_smile:

1 Like

Help? Not really… I was sketching on the ‘same’ plane and yet 2 new sketch planes were created. By ‘same plane’ I mean XY and Z=0.

Hmm, could you please share the Shapr3D design with us? Even here or at support@shapr3d.com, it would help a lot to find the reason. Thanks!

Oh sorry, I can’t anymore. I deleted the unwanted sketch planes and draw the missing lines on the remaining plane again.

If it happens again I’ll send you the design.

Serge

I think I have the same issue with having my sketch on multiple planes. I’m new with this app (iPad) and just started sketching and didn’t realize it ended up on different planes. How can I move the sketch elements to the same plane?

1 Like

@Czr480 Sometimes it’s easy to forget to click on the plane and then your sketch ends up behind the model and it wouldn’t be obvious until one moves around the screen space.

1 Like

You can move them with the Move/Rotate tool, or simply just project them onto the other plane.

1 Like

Hello, I have the same problem. I was sketching one half of a tower, and wanted to copy and paste it on the other side. That worked, but now it is a new sketch so i cant close the sketch to create a body. I tried mirroring too, but i can’t move the sections separately. Can somebody help?

Hey @Carl1, can you share some more details of your project? Some screenshots or the Shapr3D design would be super helpful!

Thanks a lot, but i already solved it. I didnt know you could control the mirror line, but now i know it! Great App btw