Spaceship enviroment I'm building

No wait, It is ACES, Acadamy Color Encoding System. Catch the fever it’s awesom

whenever I feel like I’m slowing down and am not sure what to do next, I just do a screen cap of the design then take it into a paint program, like photoshop or manga studio and draw over it until I like it, then go back to 3D.

I suppose you could print it out too if that’s more convenient for you, I do allot of 2d art on the computer so I have waccoms etc, if you just have a mouse you’d probably want to do it on paper

2 Likes

it basically looks like this, then I go build it, really helps

6 Likes

Nice workflow.

Great method, I’m going to try that when I get bogged down. Gives you more freedom to think about colours, shading, texture, where you might put in some shadows for extra interest, without being caught up in the geometry of the work. After all they are two very different skills using separate mental processes.Thanks for the tip.

I love the little tweaks in this design that add so much value, like the slight deformations in the floor material, that feels very organic and naturally motivated. This is a great showpiece for how far you can really push Shapr, and I agree, it’s going to be a big part of other workflows. You don’t get much drafting done on a laptop in an airport lounge, but on your iPad you can get an entire piece of furniture done between flights.

1 Like

thanks! ill start posting updates here too when I start making it into a real-time Unreal engine environment, looking forward to figuring that out. I’m going to wait until U5 is out though

1 Like

Which apps or programs do you prefer to use for the 2d part of your mock up?

I use manga studio, but that’s only because I do allot of 2d art too. photoshop or gimp or something would be fine

1 Like

slowly getting finished

6 Likes

Yes on YouTube you can know everything

1 Like

9 Likes

Dude, i loved the sketch over the shade preview!!! It’s amazing way to make design hypothesis. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :index_pointing_at_the_viewer:

4 Likes

yeah I find it really helps when you get stuck as to where to go next

1 Like

Uploading: hatchshaft.jpg…

5 Likes

4 Likes

7 Likes

@peteCdesign - super inspirational work. Been looking to crack hard-surface modeling for a bit now, and after seeing your work gave Shapr a shot, and it’s amazing.

Do you have any workflow videos of yours on YouTube, Artstation, etc? Would kill to see a bit of your process in Shapr. Getting large forms and some details has been super easy - but in your work it looks like there are various ‘stamps’ or ‘alphas’ that you’re using for quick details. Either way would love to see how you model quickly :slight_smile:

Keep up the good work!

1 Like

I’m not sure what kind of software you’d use to screen capture while working that would record video/audio and not create a file that was 200 gig, I’m sure there’s something out there, lots of people make those kinds of videos, I just haven’t researched it.

I actually haven’t made any stamps or alphas, there’s a great hard body modeller called Alex Senechal (you can find him on art station) who uses fusion360 (I assume because he hasn’t heard of shapr yet, it’s literally 2 orders of magnitude better for designers in terms of usability), he has a large collection of negative-space ‘cut-outs’ he uses for detailing, but I haven’t built one up yet. If I do I’ll post it here

I probably should do some videos because it’s a fun way to build ‘a personal brand’ as the millennials say, and compare notes with other creators because I’m trying to figure out the best workflow too, and get shapr integrating with unreal, substance painter etc.

2 Likes

one thing I’d suggest is to select a face and use the ‘offset edge’ tool to make a shape you can indent in, I seem to do that allot to detail stuff up

2 Likes