STL Export to Sketchup Grouping Issues

Hi,
I’m using Shapr3D to model furniture for interior design / architecture projects. We are having trouble using my Shapr3D .STL files in Sketchup. When we import a chair for example, none of the groups that I assigned in Shapr apply to the model in Sketchup. We tried the union tool to group objects, different color grading, and putting objects into their own folders to attempt to group them, but Sketchup doesn’t recognize these groupings.

In Sketchup, we would then have to click on the hundreds of different planes that make up the object in order to group specific parts together.

We are wondering how to easily export the Shapr model into Sketchup so that it is functional in editing/adding colors to these specific groups.

Thank you for your help in advance!
Christian

Update: I tried using a cad conversion software to convert the .step file which has all the correct grouping into a .STL file but that didn’t seem to work either.

Hi, STL stores only geometry related information, groups and colors will not be written in the file.
If you export the pieces as separate STL files, they will stay in the coordinate system what you can see in the Shapr3D workspace, so you do not have to place them again. However, they may be easier to treat independently if you put them on different layers in SketchUp.
Can it be a solution for your case?

1 Like

Yes, we tried that. It’s a temporary fix for sure. I guess there’s nothing that can be done unless we had a sketchup modeler on hand.

I was exploring just now on importing sketchup file in STL into Shapr. It seems to recognise groups when I import into Shapr3D. Exploring from shapr in STL seem to follow the groups asking as you create for each object. But the tesselation is a shame, not sure why we are stuck with all those triangles. Any way to reduce or remove?

Actually what’s different between STL and OBJ? I don’t really get why you would not allow us to import OBJ but you do allow us to export OBJ.

All I can say is, to make shapr3d even more useful, there needs to be more ways to share files in 3D formats, not just engineering formats…

There it is again, the good ol‘ stl-issue…

…because that is what stl-files consists of… this format is a outdated one way ticket on the way to a 3d-printed part - that is what it is made for.

Thats why you can’t remove them - they are part of the deal.

If you want to reduce the amount of triangles move the resolution-slider to “low”, but you will end up with larger triangles!

Want no triangles? Use the STEP format. :wink:

1 Like

Interesting.

Do you know how to convert STEP to SKP or 3DS?

Does OBJ also create tesselations?

Cheers

As it seems 3ds Max can handle this job on its own (simply by importing the STEP-file):

Not necessarily, but very likely:

I think the result is dependent to the ability of the exporting software to export with nurbs instead of triangulation.
If you want to know more about OBJ, this article may help:

Cheers Matt

2 Likes

I have a Rhino License so that seems to have the ability to work with STEP and also SKP files. Will try it out, bu thanks for your help and patience.

Hi ok. Back on this issue. I have used Rhino to import a step / Igs / and parasolid file into shapr3d. But which is best? They all look the same. I would assume parasolid ought to be the best. .

Also did you know that Rhino arnt supporting your shapr file. You should speak to them or get a plugin. ’

The native S3D file format is not an open format. Export .x_t would work for exchange with many other packages, without loss of functionality.