Strange behavior of shapes after substraction

Hey, I hope someone can help me.

When I substract one object from another, sometimes the created body behaves strange, when I go to Sketch Mode.

In my example below I substracted a cylinder from a block. pretty simple. But as shown in my screenshots I get two different results from two same actions.

Needless to say that I want the results where I can see the radius and not the one with all the dots :slight_smile:

Hi,

The dotted result means the edge was projected as a loop of spline instead of a simple circle.

Could you give us a bit more context like the body you removed, if it was perpendicular to the face, etc? Some screenshots or even the Shapr3D design would help a lot in finding the causes.

1 Like

It’s not that easy to provide a screenshot that explains my problem.

The details:
the body that was removed from a block is a model of a hinge. I want to remove just a part of the hinge so, that I get the drill holes. the body is perpendicular to the block. In one situation I get the loop of splines in another situation ( I would say it’s like an identical situation) I get the results without the dots.

I guess my explanation isn’t very helpful, so I attached a file :slight_smile:

substraction-test.shapr (593.8 KB)

I’m not sure I’m understanding what you want to do, but I’ll take a guess. In the “didn’t work” folder, the hinge pins did subtract from the panel and you just needed to delete the original panel that you did the subtraction on.

If the hinges had holes, you can project them onto the panel and extrude them inwards.

Easier still would be to use your sketch plane (I added one here) to project and extrude the hinge holes.

Hey Stephen,

thanks for your time and effort, but unfortunately that is not my concern.

I attached a video to visualize what I mean.

In this video I make two substractions. After the first subtraction, I get the loop of splines but after the second substraction (which is, in my opinion, the same kind with identical objects) I get the „normal“ loop and I don’t know why.

Unfortunately the loop of splines is not very useful to me.

1 Like

Indeed something is wrong with the vertical board. It does not matter which hinge is removed from it, the edge will lose its circular properties. The weird thing is only the edge does so, the inner surface of the hole remains circular.

I made a video where the hinge from the vertical board is marked with red, and the other in green. If the red is removed from the horizontal board, the edge remains circular and if I remove the green from the vertical board, the edge will be spline. So the problem will be around that pretty simple board shape.

May I ask if you applied the Move/Rotate or Scale tools on particular edges of the body? Transforming the edges by themselves can cause issues like this.

May I ask if you applied the Move/Rotate or Scale tools on particular edges of the body? Transforming the edges by themselves can cause issues like this.

No, I did not. Of course I moved and rotated the bodies but not their edges.

What I’ve also recognized is, if you move the hinge of the vertical board
like 1mm away from the board before subtraction the shape stays circular.

Got it, thanks for the effort. We’ll check it!

2 Likes