Subtract not working when creating thread?

Hello
My long established method for creating a thread in a hole is not working?
My method is:
1.I create a hole, the diameter being the recommended hole size for the particular thread.
2. I import the model of a screw from a third party.
3. I align the screw with the hole and insert it.
4.I then subtract it and voila, a threaded hole, ready for 3D printing, but not anymore, what is wrong please?.

Please see attached screen shot.

Regards Richard.

Apple IPad Pro.

https://support.shapr3d.com/hc/en-us

If the diameter of the hole equals the imported thread instead of forming a clear intersection, it can make the boolean fail. A non-manifold or open imported thread can also cause problems when subtracting.

Can you upload the Shapr3D design or some screenshots?

Uploading: IMG_0296.png…

For some reason the picture is not uploading to this thread.

The hole has an internal diameter of 4.2mm. The external diameter of the screw is 5mm. Never before a problem.

Does the boolean succeed if you make the hole smaller?

Another important detail: in the boolean settings, keeping the originals is set to All which means at the end of the process you’ll have the plate with holes, the plate with thread, and the screw at the same location. Is it enabled intentionally?

1 Like

I’ve also tried it without a hole and it should still work, but doesn’t.
I have been changing the options for what’s removed or left behind to try and get it to work. I will change it back to all.
I’ve also just used the “create link” function, to allow you access to the file, but it’s done strange things to my files and I can’t open anything? Each file now says “Local changes” with a cloud and an arrow in the file icon. What is that about please

The link would not allow me to access the file, but you can always send us the entire Shapr3D design in a support ticket. Please open one and attach the design, we’ll check the workspace

I have just uploaded it.

OK.I’ve managed it.

I reduced the diameter of the hole, as you suggested. I have never had to do this before and it means my thread core diameter will not be correct, I will have to create and insert a cylinder of the required “core” size and subtract it!

Something has changed here.

Thanks and regards, Richard.