SVG Import

Hey all,
I got a little over the top excited when we could export to SVG, I also thought at the same time we could import SVG files but I don’t seem to be able to?

Can we only export to SVG at this stage, or is there an import SVG function as well?

1 Like

Hello @Jrad,

Currently, only the export of SVG files is supported.

Hey Peter,
Thanks for the reply, why is this the case if SVG support is already enabled?

Do you know a time frame on SVG imports?

Hi Jrad,

Thanks for the great question. We choose to work on SVG export first because one of the third party libraries we already use for DWG/DXF supports it for export (but unfortunately not for import). With SVG import we need to take into account the different content an SVG file can have like colors, more difficult shapes and need to work on how to turn them into a meaningful sketch within Shapr3D. That said we would like to add SVG import as well, but it is a bit further down the roadmap as the team working on it focuses on delivering a great drawing experience and improving the recently released SVG export.

First, THANK YOU for giving SVG export some TLC. I’ll be strong textkeeping my rather expensive subscription :slight_smile:

Exporting SVG sketches will provide a useful stop-gap path to working with my Shaper Origin

Of course what is really needed is exporting the bounding path enclosing a (flat) plane from a 3D solid. Can you articulate the …cough path forward for this feature?

Kindest Regards,

Ron

2 Likes

How am I meant to work with this?
Imported a converted svg - dxf and I’m left with broken lines everywhere.
This is next to useless.

2 Likes

Hello! Could you please upload the file here or send it to us? It would help us a lot if we could have a look at the file, conversion of sketches can easily make the result broken :confused:

Thought it helpful to chime in as I too need a simple SVG support. I noticed [Alexander_P_Shapr3D] mentioned that colors are an issue with SVG imports for embossing. But I would highly recommend that you leave that problem up to the end user. There is a huge benefit to keeping it simple and allowing the simple import of a single color SVG, like an icon or a logo, etc. Black on transparent. Ideally, single color SVG’s should match up perfectly imported into your Sketch tool in the app.

We all know we’re aiming for solid objects, so color isn’t something that needs to be considered for this type of use. I personally REALLY need to watermark one of my designs with a logo that will be going to making an injection mold. So far Shapr3D has been a perfect tool for the basics, but this simpler interpretation of a vector drawing would be a huge benefit.

2 Likes

I totally agree, and we should definitely add SVG import to Shapr3D.

4 Likes

Yes. Is there any timeframe?

1 Like

I too would really appreciate svg import. I create mechanical drawings in Illustrator all the time and would love to take my profile, import it into Shapr3D, revolve it into a solid shape and continue to work on it to create model I can 3D print. Having that sort of functionality would be very helpful.

5 Likes

I create vectors in multiple software like Silhouette Business, Affinity Designer V2, lightburn etc.

I save as SVG as it is the Industry Standard and is the only format provided for most 3D Vector based software.

Unfortunately DXF doesn’t work. If you save as SVG and convert to DXF online or from Inkscape, it BREAKS the file at all the points AND it changes the size. So the file is pretty useless.

For example I have a basic shape that I drew. Saved as SVG and it was a continuous path. Uploaded to Cloud Convert and Convertio.

Cloud Convert, broke the path at all the points and made it TINY (See photo). Convertio broke it at all paths and made it HUGE 1925mm.

Please can you allow an import of SVG? You can do JPG so SVG shouldn’t be that difficult?

I need to build models of EXACT size. So this is a LID. Therefore the measurements are critical.

1 Like

SVG support looks like that will take more time than expected from users, is it something challenging for developers, or is it not in a near future in the road map?

1 Like

I love the program except I might have to move to fusion360 just because of the SVG Import for 3d printing

3 Likes

Hi, the SVG import option is an important tool, and adding it would be game-changer when evaluating if ANY 3D modeling app can be practical in daily usage. May I suggest that the developers introduce this for Shaper3D sooner than later, meaning give us the basic, one-color capability in the short term? I read earlier in this thread that they are holding out for a more perfect version of this function that includes multicolored svgs – but this detail is no necessaryfor me, and I would imagine is beside the point for many people who do 3D modeling for product design and other 3D output.

3 Likes