The undo stack should persist across application restarts/crashes/log-outs

The undo stack should persist across application openings.

The problem that this feature will solve:

As it stands, productionising a model is oftentimes a two step process: assembling a model from sub-objects, and then union-ing everything together and applying various chamfers/fillets/radii to join points.

If you accidentally exit the application/it crashes/it restarts itself overnight due to an update when your model is “glued together”, you then potentially have large amounts of work to disassemble the model again (or you have to restore from a backup).

Brief description of the outcomes that you expect from this feature:

Maintaining the undo stack on a per-model basis across app restarts would solve this. Note that sometimes users will hold down “undo” until it stops undoing, to “revert” a model. If the undo stack is persisted, there should be a warning before moving past the point in the stack at which the model was opened, to avoid accidental loss of work.

The corollary of this is that until such a feature is implemented, Shapr3D should NEVER automatically restart itself or log the user out without user intervention, because doing so poses a real risk of data loss.

2 Likes

Excellent suggestion. I’ve noticed that the UNDO stack seems to have very limited memory that often blocks me from backtracking as much as I sometimes need to do. As you noted, the UNDO functionality between sessions needs major renovation.

One possible workaround is to have something analogous to the “autosave” functionality built into various programs so Shapr3D (in this case) could save a copy of the file every five or 10 minutes, for example. That should be very easy and quick to implement.

1 Like

The existing workflow of repeatedly manually saving files is tedious, error-prone and slow: it’s the kind of thing developers did in the 1990s. And it’s made worse by the absolutely terrible model export UX (it should be a single click).

It needs integration with git tbh.

2 Likes

We currently use GIT on a daily (sometimes hourly depending on the level of detail). I agree, if you need to store it in a folder so that you can use another tool (like GIT which we are required to use), then the number of clicks just to save is painful when SAVE has been around for decades.

Integration with GIT would be nice, but just saving it to a file would be awesome.

1 Like