Trying to edit specific sketch

When I am trying to add to one sketch, even if I am in edit mode for the one I want to edit, it will edit another sketch that is on another plane that is parallel to it. I am attaching a video to show it. Any ideas on what I’m doing wrong?

Cant really tell from your video, do you have the face of that shape selected? Does it have a face? Can you hide the other sketch planes?

Perhaps rotating in the video will help with the explanation?

I think I have run into this my own self. Generally I change my view so I can see both layers/planes and select the one I want to draw on and then hit sketch. It will either change to the view over that plane and allow you to draw on it or you can use the cube to change the view over the plane.

You can also use the folder pane to hide the planes/other stuff in the way.

I was going to suggest hiding the sketches you don’t want to edit, as corey mentioned.

Yeah thats what I tried, and it stil wants to edit the hidden sketch. This is a side of a knife that has a sketch on one side to define the inset and a sketch on the other to define the features. The sketch planes are parallel to each other. It seems like a bug that it is wanting to sketch on the hidden sketch instead of the active visible sketch.

I agree that’s a bug.

It’s not a bug — the app is working as designed — but it is a limitation. You can’t have more than one sketch on the same plane. If you hide a sketch and then try to draw new lines on its plane, the sketch will be unhidden and your lines will be added to it rather than to a new sketch. If you move a sketch plane to coincide with another sketch plane, the two will merge.

I think your two sketches are not exactly on the same plane, but you have the wrong one focused, so you’re accidentally drawing into the plane of the hidden sketch and unhiding it.

@Hawkeye Double tab on sketch with your finger while it’s not locked on

He said, “The sketch planes are parallel to each other.”, so I just assumed they were on separate planes in space, i.e. they have some normal distance between them. If that’s not the case, then they’re not separate planes as far as Shapr3D is concerned.

Is the circle and the other sketch on the same plane. If not they will not interact. Sketches must be on the same plane to interact.

Wow, Genrally, This is a side of a knife that has a sketch on one side to define the inset and a sketch on the other to define the features.

Finished the piece. Thanks for the suggestions!

2 Likes