Unable to import STL file

Hello, could someone help me with this STL file I’m trying to import. See the thingiverse link below, the file is named bonding_knife.stl. When I try to open the file it is grayed out and won’t like me select it to import. help!

Thank you

Hi @mbeck007 Welcome to the Forum.
It is assumed that you are not using the Pro version of S3D.

Search, available top right of every Forum page, for Importing STL and it will reveal a lot of information.

These articles may be of interest:

https://discourse.shapr3d.com/t/supported-import-formats/4778

https://discourse.shapr3d.com/t/explanation-of-export-import-formats-supported-by-shapr3d/279

Happy S3Ding

Hi, where are you trying to import the file from?

As a workaround, please can you save the file to your iPad file directory
Then try importing the file from there and let’s see if the issue persists.

Yeah so just saw the pop up this morning when I tried to import another file, says imports are only for pro subscribers, disappointing but gotta have something to incentivize people to give money. It’s just such a bummer that there is this huge barrier in the maker community to have good cheap cad programs. Especially if you have no commercial prospects and just doing things for yourself.

We offer a 14 day free trial period for the Pro subscription. You can start one and the subscription can be canceled anytime.

I am also having this issue however, i do have a pro subscription. It will not allow me to import any stl files. Please help.

Hi James,
Which system are you working on? Which version of Shapr is installed?
Is the .stl-file not abailable in the import-process, or can you select it and what happens then?
Is it at a unique file or did you try several files?
Cheers Matt

Hi Matt. So I am using the iPadOS version and I updated my app as well. So I did find something to work. If I go to my location where any of the STL files are, they are still greyed out. If I try to click on them, nothing happens. However, if I click and hold the Apple Pencil on them, the menu options pop up. If I exit the options and click it once again (even though it is still greyed out) it brings me to the measurements and then opens. It’s weird. But that seems to work. But to answer your question, it was any STL file. Even 3MF files.

Hey James,
that it does not work with 3MF-files is no miracle - 3MF is not supported for import - only for export. :wink:
The greyed out STL-File is strange…

• You selected the first option in the import-window (files) and not photos by mistake? Edit: That is unlikely, because the iPad restricts the folders…
  • maybe you can upload one of the files you cannot open an I can try on my iPad?
    Edit:
  • If you cannot upload a file due to nondisclosure, maybe you can paste the full file-name? Maybe there is something in the syntax of the filename causing this Issue!?

Cheers Matt

1 Like

Hi,

Do you use some kind of cloud solution, or are the files downloaded to your device?