UNDO/REDO buttons in a editable position toolbox

Please follow the format below for requesting a feature.

The problem that this feature will solve:

*new navigation put undo/redo in the middle of screen, close to apple split screen button. Probably the worse place.
Undo should stay next to the hand that hold the ipad, to be faster, or have a simple shortcut (like in Procreate).
The best way would be to be able to choose in which corner users want undo/redo

Brief description of the outcomes that you expect from this feature:

Faster access to undo/redo. No tapping accidentally in the ipad split screen. Be able to hit undo with thumb without use apple pencil for faster workflow.

What canā€™t you achieve without this feature?
Faster (and more accurate, far from split screen) interface

Is this a workflow blocker for you? Is this why you canā€™t use Shapr3D for work? Is this slowing you down?

The previous interface was faster to access, and away from split screen.

4 Likes

Hi @MauricioT , have you tried using the system default three finger swipe gestures for undo and redo?

1 Like

As a lefty, I have to say that the three-finger swipe is not comfortable, for meā€¦

2 Likes

Istvan, Iā€™ll try. Thanks for the info. But you guys should check Procreate shortcuts. Best regards, M

3 Likes

I need to second this.

The new position for undo/redo is the worst possible choice. It requires significantly more travel than the previous location, which could be quickly tapped with a thumb.

The proposed workaround of the three finger gesture has the same problem. Itā€™s more work than just tapping a button with a single finger Iā€™m not otherwise using.

Iā€™ve been using Shapr3D since 2018, and I depend on it to be productive. Moving the button I tap most to the least convenient place on the screen really hurts. Please put it back.

5 Likes

Weā€™ll look into putting it back.

6 Likes

Thanks @Istvan, the people have spoken and once again the Shapr3D team have listened.

Whilst youā€™re looking at the Undo/Redo, is there any chance you can also look to make the top toolbar into a pop-out so itā€™s not in the way :wink:

No, the top toolbar will stay (and I also canā€™t promise yet that the undo buttons will move back). I know it really well that with a tool that you are using so much, interactions are written into your muscle memory, and itā€™s hard to reprogram that. However, these are not just random changes that we made, but a part of a much bigger/longer vision that we canā€™t fully share right now, and it makes it difficult move stuff to arbitrary places. We had good reasons to move the undo/redo buttons too. So first Iā€™d like to ask you to spend some time with it, and if it remains a pain even after using it intensely for a few weeks, please let us know. I understand that this is a big ask, but we need to move forward with the evolution of Shapr3D.

1 Like

Thanks @Istvan, I do understand that the changes have been made to accommodate the future evolution of Shapr3D and are part of the bigger picture and I appreciate your honest response. However, I think that at the same time you shouldnā€™t loose sight of the things that Shapr3D has managed to do so well to date which has been itā€™s ease of use and one of the best user experiences.

Both Seb and Peter talk about this in the recent videos covering the updates, specifically Peterā€™s point about ā€œallowing users to focus on the design instead of fighting with the tool youā€™re usingā€ is exactly why we shouldnā€™t have to think twice about where to find buttons for such frequently used functions.

FWIW, My thoughts on the top toolbar in its current form is that if the Undo/Redo buttons were to be moved, the remaining buttons/info here is not usually required until the end of the design process, or at least much less frequently, and therefore the whole toolbar takes up ā€˜unnecessaryā€™ space in such a prominent position the design area and gets in the way of viewing the model. Again, I understand that you may have other plans for additional functions of the toolbar, so I guess only time will convince me why it needs to be there.

4 Likes

Certainly not, itā€™s our key differentiator. I think even with the top bar the UX got better, and I hope that after a short period of time everyone will get used to it. For example by hiding the tool labels by default (except on older iPads, without hover capability), we saved dramatically more screen space than how much the top bar takes away. Isolate, measure and section view are way more accessible. And of course with the old UI we simply could not deliver History-Based Parametric Modeling. UI/UX remains a strategic pillar for Shapr3D, and while I understand that muscle memory is hard to change, I hope that in the all the other improvements that this new interface makes possible will dwarf this inconvenience.

1 Like

Itā€™s not always comfortable to use. Would prefer buttons please

1 Like

Let me finish on a highā€¦

I agree that overall the recent update is a huge improvement and the UI/UX is still important to you guys.

Iā€™m sure that in a short while those who are currently bothered by the updates will re-learn to work with these relatively minor inconveniences in order to allow the continued development and what looks to be looks to be an exciting new era for Shapr3D with the upcoming releases.

Keep up the good work :+1:

1 Like

It started with the iPad, but now it is really difficult for the iPad. Any layout and evolution canā€™t be better than the previous one. What about the follow-up?

My $.02. I am squarely in the camp of ā€œwanting easier access to undo/redoā€. Iā€™ve been trying to get used to a 3-finger swipe for undo/redo for a week or two now, but honestly, Iā€™ve not been able to get the swipe action to be very reliable.

I would like to see the undo/redo put somewhere that they can more easily access it or maybe make the 3-finger swipe more reliable. I generally have to swipe 3 or 4 times before it catches it as an undo.

Just adding my vote after trying to get used to it.

@Yepher , genuine question, why does it feel harder for you to press the buttons at the top vs in their original location? The average distance from the working area of the screen is actually less to the top vs to the bottom corners.

My opinionā€¦ when we use the undo/redo function, something is usually wrong. The work process stops, the hand is on the side. It is easier to turn the pencil on the fingers a little towards the bottom corner, than to move the wrist across the screen to the top of middle.

I personally donā€™t feel that way (but that doesnā€™t matter), so can you explain why it feels easier?

maybe itā€™s bad adaptation on my part (Iā€™ve been using the programs for more than five years, my pro subscription just turned into its third year today :blush: )
Try to send a vid:

6 Likes

why does it feel harder for you to press the buttons at the top vs in their original location?

The hands donā€™t sit at the top of the screen. On an iPad Pro 12.9", the hand has to travel completely out of position to tap a smaller tap target, then return to position to resume work. This round trip has to be completed every single time an undo is needed. It breaks flow.

Shapr3D puts all of its tools at the edge of the screen, and it has for years.

Now, in this update, the most commonly touched target in any mode or workflow is quite randomly nowhere near the rest of the controls Iā€™m regularly touching.

Iā€™m really quite frustrated by this decision, and more frustrated by the lack of clarity here. This is not a toy, this thing is really expensive and by now Iā€™ve given you people over a thousand dollars for the pleasure of using it. Youā€™ve made it worse for no reason.

As a developer and interaction designer, I recognize the importance of evolution in a UI. But in those roles, I also recognize that you canā€™t just screw around with peopleā€™s workflows like this. Very disappointing stuff.

4 Likes

Certainly not for no reason, and I do believe that even if you donā€™t like this particular part of the update, the other benefits that are coming with the UI update are worth it. I understand that UI changes can be frustrating initially.