Visualization not applying material correctly

So I’m pretty new to shapr3d and using it primarily to explore different woodworking project ideals. I recently modeled a box with dovetail joints and experimented for the first time using visualization. I’m not really sure how to explain what’s going on so I took a screenshot (red arrow pointing to area). But it basically the material appears “patch” in certain areas and “flickers” on/off when I rotate the box.

Hi Treiff,
When it flickers, it means there are two bodies in the same space. Go back to modeling subtract one body from the other retaining removed bodies (not all) and see if that helps. Since there are those overlaps in 2 spots, and not all four, it could also be that your front and side are not perfectly square.

When modeling, when you select 2 flat faces, the status at the bottom will tell you the angle.

Also try replace face on the ash board to get the dovetails to be all parallel planes 0mm (or inches) apart. The ends of those dovetails should be flush with the walnut board. If you select one end face of the dovetail, then the walnut board, then each of the other dovetail ends then the replace face tool and finally done it may help. (Often with replace face there are only 2 faces, so you select the one you want to replace, then the target face. When there are more faces, you start the same, and then select the other faces you want to replace. The target face is the second one you select.)

2 Likes

Thanks for the response @Bob3DPO.

Took your advice, when I selected the 2 faces the status at the bottom did show they were 90 degrees. I went ahead and tried replace face like you mentioned and that worked. Not exactly sure why I assume I must have made a mistake somewhere when modeling. Thanks again for your help!

You’re welcome. Glad it worked out for you!