When shapr 3d will it be possible to import OBJ files directly into SHAPR 3D?

1.A) shapr3d when will it be possible to import OBJ files directly into SHAPR 3D? without the user having to convert it to the file format just to be able to import the file on shapr 3d!
1.b) why is it not possible to IMPORT an obj file on shapr 3d and other formats YES ?!
since currently you can only export it to obj and other formats
2) a serious 3d modeling cad software since always you should have the ability to import OBJ files!
3) I would be very grateful if it was introduced the possibility to IMPORT OBJ files ON SHAPR 3D ABOUT request 1.A)
(translated with google translator) :grinning:

5 Likes

Hi,

Shapr3D is a solid modeling tool, and we are focused on CAD file formats. In the future we might implement OBJ import, but it’s not a priority for now.

I’d like to upvote that OBJ import. My interest is in using Shapr3D architecturally, and being able to bring a terrain model in to Shapr3D would be awesome. I know it’s really focussed on mechanical design, but you have a waiting market for architecture! There’s Autodesk Formit on the iPad, but not nearly so easy to sculpt with as Shapr3D.

6 Likes

Hi Istvan, I get that the ability to import OBJ’s isn’t on the top of your to-do list right now, but it’s something that would make Shapr3D much more useable to my company. I personally love Shapr3D, it’s become a very useful part of our workflow at my company and a tool that I’d like to recommend to my artists, but not being able to import OBJ files is an issue. We use several different 3D modeling software packages in our work depending on the job at hand, and we’re often working with files are more “organic” in nature that then require “mechanical” modifications. Our clients often provide us with 3D models that they have generated and that we will then use as a basis for our work, and those client-generated models are often OBJs. Not being able to import those files directly means either opting out of using Shapr3D, or converting the files into something Shapr3d can work with, which often involves compromises in the usability of the client digital model. Is the ability to directly import OBJ’s a functionality that you intend to add to Shapr3D, and if so, when?

3 Likes

How would you use those OBJ files?

I agree would be super useful. I do a lot of quick concepting in Nomad, it would be nice to export my quick sculpt to then rebuild a proper model over in shapr. I wouldn’t need any obj functionality aside from view it and maybe double tap into it to set a sketch plane, that’s all.

Then I’d delete the model and the final would be the shapr one.

2 Likes

How do we use the client OBJ files? It varies job to job, but as an example, a client might provide us with a “static” organic model of a human that needs to become an articulated physical form, so we would digitally design mechanical articulation into that static digital model and then we’d make the physical version of that modified 3D model. Remodeling the client’s organic model in Shapr3D would be completely impractical, but being able to import their OBJ and then affect it using Shapr3D tools would be extremely handy.

1 Like

OBJ is such a common filetype, so I continue to be surprised that it’s not supported. I frequently hit the OBJ wall in Shapr3D, where I have to go back and re-export from EinScan, Modo or GravitySketch because I keep forgetting that Shapr3D doesn’t support OBJ. Every other app that I own, supports OBJ.
Sketchup, Blender, Modo, Fusion360, GravitySketch, Rhino, Unreal Engine, Unity, 3DCoat… I don’t ever recall having a 3D app (CAD or otherwise) that didn’t support OBJ.

Even if the OBJs are only for reference as they are with STL imports, that’s fine. It’s not necessary to be able to edit vertices or support Catmull-Clark SubD. It might be nice one day but there are a lot of apps that support that functionality already.

If I didn’t have the $500 upgrade for Modo that allows me to export IGES files, the lack of OBJ support would be a very big problem for me.
I’m sure I’m not the only one.

Thanks for all you do.
Shapr3D is a game changer.

2 Likes

The other thing I should mention is that when you say you are focusing on CAD formats, I think it’s important to remember that Shapr3D is where freeform designs from other apps go… to become CAD data.

But the freeform design phase could come from a wide variety of apps.

These days, I begin a design by freeform sketching lines literally floating in the air in GravitySketch VR. Then (still in GravitySketch) I’ll build a SubD mesh model within those floating sketch lines.
I can export as OBJ or IGES (But the IGES support is new and not available to all users)
Previously, I had to go through Modo or Fusion360 to get those sketches and preliminary models into Shapr3D.

2 Likes

One more vote for obj support. I use shapr3d to create models for 3D printing and it would be insanely useful to have the ability to import (and preferably direct edit) obj’s. Love the app otherwise!

1 Like

+1 on that, just like importing USDZ, @Istvan. The reason being a faster design development/prototyping. Of course at one point one might want to replace those imports.

I would also vote to add obj as a compatible file format.

There are a handful of 3D scanning apps becoming available for iPhones and iPads that export colored obj files.

It would be useful to be able to import these into Shapr3D.

Sean

2 Likes

I pay for the licensed version of shapr3d and i love its intuitive nature but you guys are killing me on the restrictive nature of you software and may need to consider a different software. as you can see in the image these are all major cad and 3d modeling file formats and due to file format restrictions i cant use anything i purchase from turbosquid in your software. This is very disappointing since i love the functionality and intuitiveness of your software but that doesn’t amount to much when i cant upload models that use extremely common formats that are primarily used in cad modeling.

1 Like

Hi @jdtyler , these formats are 3D graphics formats, not CAD formats. At Shapr3D our focus is manufacturing. For editing these file types, there are many great 3D graphics software, like Blender.

Oh I understand I just wish there was a way to convert this giant OBJ file to a stat file that way I could build a model that not only would serve graphically that could be used to order in 3-D print specific car parts as well in addition to using the model for service location and reference.

1 Like

.step* file

The lack of OBJ support is just KILLING me.
All I’m trying to do is simply import some car models for a site plan. So I’m converting OBJs to STLs for import, but of course fenders are too thin to print so when they become STLs, the verts collapse and surfaces get corrupted.
All I need in Shapr3D is mesh alternative to STLs.
Why NOT suppprt OBJs as reference meshes?
I keep slamming into this same Shaper3D brick wall over and over again.

Hi @GJetson , I understand that you need OBJ import. Unfortunately it’s not on our roadmap at the moment.

What about a library of solid models for import such as cars, trucks, SUVs. Do you have a library or a suggestion where to find cars that could be imported into Shapr3D?